What in the world happened???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crappy fuel caused the fuel line to swell up and become loose on the carb inlet, of course that let it lean out and fry. The good news is he called and said he doesn't want to fix it, that I could dispose of it properly.

Did someone try to do any kind of modding to that poor saw and get the wrong spot? I don't have a ton of experience tearing a bunch of saws down, but that gasket looks like it is made out of red rtv. Looks like you have a busted ring also.

Did someone try to do any kind of modding to that poor saw and get the wrong spot? I don't have a ton of experience tearing a bunch of saws down, but that gasket looks like it is made out of red rtv.

It's the factory sealer, Dirko.

The crappy fuel caused the fuel line to swell up and become loose on the carb inlet, of course that let it lean out and fry.
I'll have to watch out for that, thanks for the interesting thread.

So what caused the baked on red/brown stuff in this pic ?
attachment.php

I'll have to watch out for that, thanks for the interesting thread.

So what caused the baked on red/brown stuff in this pic ?
attachment.php

Well I'm not really sure about that, and would enjoy kicking that around some. This is the exhaust side of the piston, so I'm wondering if the excess heat could have loosened the carbon on the top of the piston and in the exhaust port causing what we are seeing there???

One thing is for sure. This saw was badly abused, no cleaning, poor fuel quality, dull chain, and I'm sure an unskilled operator. All these things add up to extreme heat.

The jug will clean up without much trouble, and the big end of the rod has no free play vertically. After a good scrubbing, some new hoses, a Meteor piston kit, and new bearings and seals, it should make a fine little trimming saw.

WOW. Who the hell treats a tool like that & then is surprised when it gives up the ghost? I dont know if ive ever seen a dirtier saw than that one pic.

Justin, I see you are from the dry side of your province. You should see the saws that are run in the moist or maritime parts of the world. They get so packed in with wet/oily sawdust that I have seen the flywheel seize to the recoil housing. That saw in the pict posted is quite clean compared to many I have chiseled out just to get them to turn over.

Pioneerguy600

You obviously haven't seen my saws. :laugh: I don't clean them, but sometimes chunks of dirt get shaken off as they bounce around in the back of the pickup.

I do take an air hose to mine a few times a year, but I don't use mine nearly as much as some of the guys around here do. I cut my firewood and cut up some trees for my neighbors sometimes. I fix only two-strokes and enjoy the heck out of twisting wrenches. As it turns out I normally don't keep the same saws too long, once they are running just right all the fun is over, and they end up being sold. lol

Latest posts

Back