What is a decent old top handle saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countrybois

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know the 200T is the best, but I'm looking for something cheaper(like under $100). I would like it to have around home when I'm cleaning up branches or clearing limbs before bucking them up. I've seen a few Homelite XLs on eBay. Are they reliable units? Parts availability?

Stihl 020. You cab find good ones on ebay for around $100. They are great saws. No chain break, so be careful.

I would go with a small rear handel saw 30-40cc range if you are going to be on the ground. It will be safer to use. I have a MS200 top handel, and never use it because I don't climb. It sits in my garage collecting dust.

The 020 (and later, the Super) was produced for many years, perhaps 20. all the later ones that I ran, which were purchased in the late 80's on, had chain brakes.

other good saws that can be found cheap are the Echo 300/340 series...aka the 3000/3400...or 3401/341 rear handled saw...

The Poulan S25DA was one of the best and most used climb saws ever.

Lots of others have been made, but most weren't that good, or are scarce.

I have an 028 Super AV, purchased used in 1991. Not sure of it's production year. Is there a way I can find out ? Run an 18" bar and just love it.

I really would like something that can easily be run with one hand. I want to be able to hold the wood with one hand and cut with the other. I've only found that a true top-handle unit is balanced well enough to do that.

I really would like something that can easily be run with one hand. I want to be able to hold the wood with one hand and cut with the other. I've only found that a true top-handle unit is balanced well enough to do that.

Doing that is a HUGE no-go! Those of us that use saws every day are often tempted to do that, but top handle saws do not have sufficient resistance to kick back to justify the risk. Too many people have thought they could handle it one-handed... only to end up getting stitches in their forhead, upper torso, or worse yet... NOT getting stitches and havinf a closed casket funeral.

It's not worth the risk!!

I know the 200T is the best, but I'm looking for something cheaper(like under $100). I would like it to have around home when I'm cleaning up branches or clearing limbs before bucking them up. I've seen a few Homelite XLs on eBay. Are they reliable units? Parts availability?
I use McCulloch Mini Mac Saws for limning trees, Its a bad practices to use only one hand. I know. I try not to do this practice. I use my Mini Mac for marking my wood into lengths, with the aid of a marking stick.
When the chain is about to hit where I want it marked, I grab it with my other hand. I use a 12" stick for marking, and cut right through at every 48" mark.
I haul it out of the bush this way, stack it up in 48" lengths, and use a Buss Saw to cut it into lengths of either 12" or 16" Lengths.
There are a few on eBay. These saws are well balanced saws. Be careful with what you are going to do Please.
Its almost better to have somebody hold the pieces of wood, or clamp it down with your foot, and keep both hands on the saw. Mount a vice onto a bench about 2 feet off the ground, x 2 feet wide, 4 feet long, and clamp your sticks into that. Be very careful with this practice, You can clamp your wood down on other pieces of wood with your foot. Barley revving the saws engine, you can cut your pieces this way. Beautiful because your piece that you are cutting can jump too. You need to be able to keep that thing under control at all times. No Matter What. Personally, I'd build a sturdy bench with a vice on it. This would be safer.
Bruce.

My Homelite Super 2 has been a very reliable saw with 2 triggers one for top handle and a second on the rear. I just cant fathom holding the wood with one hand and cutting it with a power saw one handed. "..., Tried that once, didn't like it". -- Frank Bahron
Even using a smaller saw there is a great deal of power there and a huge potential for personal disaster. With sharp cutters running at 5000 feet per second, inches away from you or valueable body parts. You are flirting with disaster doing as you have described.
If you are having trouble cutting the smaller stuff leave it on the log and cut the small end first. Then make each cut closer to the log as you go along. Let the log hold the little stuff. I'd rather hear about wood chips than bone chips anytime.

Last edited:
My Homelite Super 2 has been a very reliable saw with 2 triggers one for top handle and a second on the rear. I just cant fathom holding the wood with one hand and cutting it with a power saw one handed. "..., Tried that once, didn't like it". -- Frank Bahron
Even using a smaller saw there is a great deal of power there and a huge potential for personal disaster. With sharp cutters running at 5000 feet per second, inches away from you or valueable body parts. You are flirting with disaster doing as you have described.
If you are having trouble cutting the smaller stuff leave it on the log and cut the small end first. Then make each cut closer to the log as you go along. Let the log hold the little stuff. I'd rather hear about wood chips than bone chips anytime.
I agree, but he was talking about branches that have brocken off the trees.
Bruce.

I have a small echo top handle for light work, and as such, would recommend a small rear handle over a top handle (in hindsight).

I agree, but he was talking about branches that have brocken off the trees.
Bruce.

I guess I could have been more clear DUDE ! DON'T DO IT !!! Chainsaws have 2 handles because they are intended to be held with both hands. Even when using both hands accidents still happen. Scars and amputated extremities are good reminders to work safely.

The Poulan S25DA was one of the best and most used climb saws ever.

I can testify to that. My buddy has a S25DA (I bet it's 25-30 years old) and it has always ran flawlessly! Poulan doesn't seem to get any respect now a days and for good reason but S25DA is a great saw, in my book. :cheers:

Stihl 015's are a good saw to use for limbing. Mine is super reliable and runs good. Older 020's are also a good saw but will cost more than 100 dollars. A lot of people like the older echo top handle saws, so that may be something to look into. A small homelite like the super xl and super 2 are easy to find and I usually find they run pretty good too.

Stihl 015's are a good saw to use for limbing. Mine is super reliable and runs good. Older 020's are also a good saw but will cost more than 100 dollars. A lot of people like the older echo top handle saws, so that may be something to look into. A small homelite like the super xl and super 2 are easy to find and I usually find they run pretty good too.
Try this guy. His name is Ramey Armel. His company is called Saw Salvage Inc. His email is [email protected]. He might beable to help you with your parts for your Tanka.
I love using the McCulloch Mini Macs. Great little saws. Very dependibale too. Well ballanced units. Can pick them up on ebay real cheap, depends on who is bidding on them too. Just bought a McCulloch Eager Beaver for under $20.00 + $33.30, for shipping.
Bruce.:greenchainsaw: :computer:

one hand sawing

Been using a saw for 30+ years, cut myself once with a top handle saw, reached over the bar to hold a 1 inch limb about 30 ft up in a tree on a set of lineman hooks. Was a lot younger then, dumber too. Was very lucky felt limb pulling my arm down, released throttle, chain stopped just as it touched my left forearm, little cut 3/8 maybe long. Drop of blood no bandaid even, but left small scar to always remind me to keep both hands on saw. No blood since hope that continues.

Been using a saw for 30+ years, cut myself once with a top handle saw, reached over the bar to hold a 1 inch limb about 30 ft up in a tree on a set of lineman hooks. Was a lot younger then, dumber too. Was very lucky felt limb pulling my arm down, released throttle, chain stopped just as it touched my left forearm, little cut 3/8 maybe long. Drop of blood no bandaid even, but left small scar to always remind me to keep both hands on saw. No blood since hope that continues.
Like I said before in fatal deaths forum, we all have had our close calls with chainsaws. The most dangerous, is when we get too relaxed in what we are doing, thinking well, nothing never happened before, get relaxed in doing same routine, bites us in the a,, every time.
Glad you were not seriously cut. I had my 4 upper front teeth snapped off, by a tree limb that was sprung back from another tree limb. It came up over the bar, as I cut through one limb, and the other one sprung loose. I feel I got of very lucky. If the limb sprung under the bar instead, I'm afraid, that the outcome would have been different.
I have been running chain saws for almost 30 years. All it takes is once, and then it could be all over. Work, and Stay Safe, Have Fun, and Live Long, at what you do.
Bruce.

In my parts here about 15 to 20 years ago tree trimmers and farmers were very happy with Sachs-Dolmar 105's.They have a good chain brake also. Parts could be a problem if you need something fast though. I've bought up several parts saws the past few years as I've been using 1 for a beater saw.
When I worked at a saw dealer those little xl's kept the service center busy. I do not think to highly of them. The only thing they have going for them is they are cheap. I don't like working on them.
Echo or stihl top handles should be easiar buying parts for and would probably do what you suggested. I've seen a lot of Poulans in that catogory and would rate them so-so. A lot of the small macs seemed chinsey to me.

Latest posts

Back