What is a decent old top handle saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my parts here about 15 to 20 years ago tree trimmers and farmers were very happy with Sachs-Dolmar 105's.They have a good chain brake also. Parts could be a problem if you need something fast though. I've bought up several parts saws the past few years as I've been using 1 for a beater saw.
When I worked at a saw dealer those little xl's kept the service center busy. I do not think to highly of them. The only thing they have going for them is they are cheap. I don't like working on them.
Echo or stihl top handles should be easier buying parts for and would probably do what you suggested. I've seen a lot of Poland in that category and would rate them so-so. A lot of the small macs seemed chinese to me.
I've ran, and have McCulloch Mini Macs for 30 years, and has always been reliable. Like you I salvage parts from parts saws Ive had a Mimi Mac 30 that Ive been running for 30 years. Only thing that I've ever done with this saw, was replace the points, and condenser, to a computer chip, changed the spark plug a few times, replaced the chain break spring, and put a new clutch hub sprocket for new chains. I cut between 18 to 30 Bush Cords of fire wood a year. Do all the limbing with it, and cut stuff up to 4 inches in diameter. Now you talk about Chesney, has those other saws lasted as long as this Mac, I have Described to you, with this amount of trouble? Probably not. McCulloch Chain Saws were one of the top saws, if not the top saws ever built in its time.
Bruce.

Now you talk about Chesney said:
I wasn't refering to all models, I remember a couple busted up on their owners, that had a lot of plastic in them. I had one give to me spliced and riveted together here and there. On the other hand I had one give to me that looked well built which I assume was an older model ,I think it was a Mac 30. McCulloch made mostly premium saws for a long time. I was running an xl925 homelite with a guy using a pro mac 800. His was considerably faster and much smoother. The following year I used a brand new 064 stihl to cut wood for the same guy and I was actually unimpressed for what I expected in comparison to the McCulloch 800 I run the year prior. I haven't really run the top handle McCullochs enough to say much about them.

I wasn't referring to all models, I remember a couple busted up on their owners, that had a lot of plastic in them. I had one give to me spliced and riveted together here and there. On the other hand I had one give to me that looked well built which I assume was an older model ,I think it was a Mac 30. McCulloch made mostly premium saws for a long time. I was running an xl925 homelite with a guy using a pro mac 800. His was considerably faster and much smoother. The following year I used a brand new 064 stihl to cut wood for the same guy and I was actually unimpressed for what I expected in comparison to the McCulloch 800 I run the year prior. I haven't really run the top handle McCullochs enough to say much about them.
OK. The older Mini Macs are made out of metal. The only thing that is plastic, is the top handle, the starter mechanism, and air filter shroud. 110, Eager Beaver, pretty much the same as the Mini Mac. I have purchased a couple recently, under $40.00 + shipping each, off of e Bay.
Tough Saws. I dropped one 15ft one day, nothing broke, or dented on it. There is lots of them out there. I'd buy them in a heart beat. Wouldn't even think twice. If you decide to buy one, try and get one or two for parts.
The only thing I complain about, sometimes the plastic starter part that catches the dogs on the flywheel, gets rounded a little, and sometime doesnt catch, when you pull the starter rope. That's it. Other than that, no problems with them.
Bruce.

Latest posts

Back