What is a good saw to collect ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNick24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to the wold of chainsaw collecting. I do not know much about all the different saws out there. I found a guy who says hes got a bunch a saws to let go all different brands. Im going to look at what hes got over the weekend Ive only talked with him on the phone he said hes got McCulloch, Stihl, Alpine, Homlite, said a solo is floating around some place and more couldnt remember off the top of his head just told me it was better to come take a look. My question is what would be good ones to look for as far as brand ect. What are more common what ones are more collectable. I would like to build on my collection a bit. He doesnt seem like he wants a ton of money for them either but what would be alot to spend on an old saw? Sorry this is kind of a monster question to answer but any help would be great thanks

The brand depends on more personal preference ie.. for me id be looking at the mentioned homelite and possibly the solo but if you can get the stihl for a good price id go for that as well. In all reality any saw is worth collecting and as for a rare saw and finding parts.. thats half the fun of collecting em. As far as price it really depends on the model of saw, could be $25-200 again depending on the model. (all brands you mentioned are good brands)

I wont be a lot of help here cause i just started collecting old saws a few years ago. I just look for good deals. I bought a homelite 26LCS for 40 bucks i figures how could you go wrong a complete saw for 40 bucks? I have 5 older saws now and less than 250 in all of them. make collecting them enjoyable and worry about what you like and want not what everybody else wants or likes.

Thanks for the help everyone the guy said hes got lots of Mac, Stihl, and Homlite saws some very old. I guess ill just have to go see and try n deal with him. He said he has no poulans or Echos I asked him. Some two man saws as well. Ill just have to see what I like.

I will be driving to Long Island in a few weeks for a wedding if your not interested in the 2 mans let me know i might be.

He said he had a large mall saw I dont know if that is correct or not but he said it was a two man saw. He also said he had some Pioneer saws

here is an old mall and an old disston i picked up a few months ago they are really cool and a great start of a collection.

DSC03022.jpg

Tough question & IMHO its impossible for us to answer.

I guess the first thing you have to ask yourself is: why are you collecting?

If you are collecting for fun, then you should collect whatever you want! Maybe you decide you like the look of old poulans or maybe you like the idling sound of a homelite or the colour of an old Mac. It really is 100% up to you - thats what "collecting" is all about.

If on the other hand, you are using the word "collecting" but really mean that you want to buy saws, tinker with them & then sell them - well thats an entirely different beast. If thats the case I would stick with the big brands (preferably stihl or husky) for their resale value.

As long as you're having fun though, dont care about what anyone else tells you. ;)

Wish I could answer the OP's question, but there are just too many brands in the shed. :hmm3grin2orange:

I collect the Macs myself. Any of the big boys like the 797, 795, 790, Super Pro 125, SP 105, 895, and 890 are sought after by collectors. The Super 250, Super 44, D44 660, 650, 640, and many many more have a good collectible value as well. Any large displacement saw will always have a good collectible value. But as others have said, it will be your collection so value to yourself is most important. Brows through the Mcculloch and Homelite threads and see if anything catches your eye. Acresinternet.com is another good resource.

Back