What is a mint CP125S Mac worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I stumbled on a pretty good find this weekend. A Mac CP125 in really cherry shape. Hardly used, original bar with the McCulloch graphics still on it. Might be the original chain; not sure?? I'd be surprised if this thing had 10 tanks of fuel run through it. (Sorry, but I can't do pics)

So, how good of a find is this? HOSS, you're into this monsters, what do you think? Somebody told me these things go for over a grand on E-bay. What are the differences between the "CP" and "Super Pro" 125's?

It runs great, but needs to be adjusted for top speed. Plus I've only tried it with the gas that came in it. Don't want to pull on this thing without using the deco. Like starting a truck with a rope. Accelerates pretty quick with a nice bark to it.

I'll wait to here from you big saw experts.:givebeer:

Probably good for $800 to $1000 to the right buyer. The SP is the new and improved version, but same basic architecture.

Probably good for $800 to $1000 to the right buyer. The SP is the new and improved version, but same basic architecture.

Thanks T.

I was going to pass on this thing because the real big saws don't interest me all that much. If it's not something I would ever use, I don't pay attention to it. But a good friend who lives an hour in the other direction from where I got this saw said it sounded too good to pass up, so I went a grabbed it. He knows a collector who has a couple hundred saws, but doesn't have one of these 125's. I'm thinking that he might have something that I'll find more interesting and we can do a trade or something.

Good story on how I met the guy who sold me the saw. I was driving through Stamford which is about an hour north of me. Stopped in a little bar to have a beer and started talking with a couple of the regulars. I had a Jonsered hat on, so they started talking about saws. Told them I was had a shop, and one of them told me he had this big Mac to sell that was hardly used. It was so big that the farmer that owned it never wanted to use it. Wasn't sure of the model, so I gave him my phone number. He called the next day and told me that it wqs a 125. Just goes to show you that they're out there, and if you keep the radar on you'll find 'em.

What would constitute "something you WOULD be interested in" I have some saws that I would definately give up for a 125mac. Also TZed is probably right on the value, but when you say it needs to be adjusted for top speed make sure that it has an adjustable carb and not a fixed jet (common) carb. I had a fixed jet at first and it was never right on the topend of the rpm, but I put the adjustable carb on and voila'.

What would constitute "something you WOULD be interested in" I have some saws that I would definately give up for a 125mac. Also TZed is probably right on the value, but when you say it needs to be adjusted for top speed make sure that it has an adjustable carb and not a fixed jet (common) carb. I had a fixed jet at first and it was never right on the topend of the rpm, but I put the adjustable carb on and voila'.

I better check for the adjustment screw, huh? :cheers: If I can't adjust it, I would just soak it. It has to have spent a lot of time sitting over the last 30+ years.

I'll contact you if nothing happens with the other guy this saturday. I am partial to Jonny Reds, what have you got?

I've got a j-red 910 with a brand new oem piston and cylinder, new ignition and fresh carb rebuild. No spikes and the front handle has been welded but is very solid and runs very strong. Also even though it is not j-red I have a great husky 2100 new air filter and cover fresh carb rebuild and tune up.

The SP125"C" is the very best one, I dont think a sp125 would bring over $500.00, but I could be wrong.

If you want to make a trade and like Jreds I may have something you would like.

Bill

OK, I stumbled on a pretty good find this weekend. A Mac CP125 in really cherry shape. Hardly used, original bar with the McCulloch graphics still on it. Might be the original chain; not sure?? I'd be surprised if this thing had 10 tanks of fuel run through it. (Sorry, but I can't do pics)

So, how good of a find is this? HOSS, you're into this monsters, what do you think? Somebody told me these things go for over a grand on E-bay. What are the differences between the "CP" and "Super Pro" 125's?

It runs great, but needs to be adjusted for top speed. Plus I've only tried it with the gas that came in it. Don't want to pull on this thing without using the deco. Like starting a truck with a rope. Accelerates pretty quick with a nice bark to it.

I'll wait to here from you big saw experts.:givebeer:

Sounds like an awesome find. Wish you had photos. I could be wrong but I thought the CP had a cast iron cylinder lining and the SP125C had chrome.

Its my understanding some SP125s as well as some SP125Cs had cast and some crome. The big difference in those two were the crank, rod and piston. I don't know much about the CP.

I wish you would post a picture of that saw. I have a big mcculloch that I have yet to identify. It's a 25 pounder without a bar and chain, and it has a carburetor with a float in it. Anyway, I know nothing of macs, but I'm interested in this one. I havent seen one like it on mcbob's site. congrats on the nice find!

Cp125

My Mom used to have one of these, I remember it was quite a saw!

Back