What is an accident?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread highlights a very significant fact: Some people manage risk better than others. They have a better overall awareness of things going on around them. Not just book-smart or street-smart but that extra level of awareness coupled with common sense that helps them to excel at things like climbing or reading comp/tensn in a log and not getting the saw stuck. Sad to say some of them excel at being lazy worthless slackers while a not so smart ox of a fella busts his --- picking up heavy pieces of wood.... just before he sprains his ankle on the pinecone that the Pile Polisher conveniantly overlooked because he was to lazy to bend over and pick it up. Sometimes managing risk is managing the crew.

Lol just showing an obvious error in your thinking there always will be accidents. The biggest factor not usually figured in by corporate America is production requirements and fatigue reaching them!:monkey:

Good spar we had, Rope. I liked it. Here is the deal, When I fill out an accident report form, there is a question that ask's, "could this accident have been avoided"? I always I have to check, "yes".
Jeff :)

Good spar we had, Rope. I liked it. Here is the deal, When I fill out an accident report form, there is a question that ask's, "could this accident have been avoided"? I always I have to check, "yes".
Jeff :)

I have had to fill them out at my last job. I always stood for my men if they were doing what I instructed but they seldom do lol. I however know personally fatigue has the biggest impact on safe work operations. Tired, hot, and sometimes problems at home can kill on a job site. I have sent men home for a day when I knew their mind was not on target. I have not had a serious injury and no one under my supervision has either in 28 years but I don't scare from management expectations either.

For instance the company I used to work for had a foreman that had a fetish of putting human feces in a backpack sprayer and spraying people. He never sprayed me but my hand found a turd in the floor board of our split dump. This fetish was documented on another occasion and they did not fire him. When my hand told me and then showed me the turd, I called the president, "his of course secretary answered and I asked to speak to him" She said he was not in yada yada, I said,when he gets off the golf course tell him to call me asap. She said he is not playing golf, "ÿeah right" lmfao. She said can I ask what it is that you need to talk to him about. I said yes, told her the incident and then told him to call me soon, as my next call will be to the board of health! Phone rings in no joke, five minutes. I told him what happened and that I knew they did not fire the man that sprayed some men with feces and that I wont tolerate it on my crew and my and my employees health are important to me and what are you going to do? He said he would get to the bottom of it and I asked what about my truck? He said clean it, I said hell no, I ain't touching it, I am afraid of hepatitis or some other disease that could be transmitted. I quit about three months later when they wanted me to work with this crew!

PS I worked there 13 years the first seven management was good but the last six, well you be the judge?

Last edited:
For instance the company I used to work for had a foreman that had a fetish of putting human feces in a backpack sprayer and spraying people. He never sprayed me but my hand found a turd in the floor board of our split dump. This fetish was documented on another occasion and they did not fire him. When my hand told me and then showed me the turd I called the president," his of course secretary answered and I asked to speak to him" She said he was not in yada yada, I said when he gets off the golf course tell him to call me asap. She said he is not playing golf, "ÿeah right" lmfao. She said can I ask what it is that you need to talk to him about. I said yes, told her the incident and then told him to call me soon, as my next call will be to the board of health! Phone rings in no joke, five minutes. I told him what happened and that I knew they did not fire the man that sprayed some men with feces and that I wont tolerate it on my crew and my and my employees health are important to me and what are you going to do? He said he would get to the bottom of it and I asked what about my truck? He said clean it, I said hell no, I ain't touching it, I am afraid of hepatitis or some other disease that could be transmitted. I quit about three months later when they wanted me to work with this crew!

PS: I worked there 13 years the first seven management was good but the last six, well you be the judge?

Oh yeah, if he sprayed me there would not be an accident!

Last edited:

Absolutely, if he sprayed me with that, there would be another "man thru a chipper" story on the news, and it would not be an accident.

Most are all preventable, accidents that is, most happen buy taking shortcuts, guys always trying to come up with some idiotic way to make things easier, instead of sticking to practices that have been proven, both in safety and proficiency, some try to improve proficiency by ignoring safety, when it comes to those decisions, proficiency should always come after safety.

Absolutely, if he sprayed me with that, there would be another "man thru a chipper" story on the news, and it would not be an accident.

Most are all preventable, accidents that is, most happen buy taking shortcuts, guys always trying to come up with some idiotic way to make things easier, instead of sticking to practices that have been proven, both in safety and proficiency, some try to improve proficiency by ignoring safety, when it comes to those decisions, proficiency should always come after safety.

Yeah its not that I can't take a joke but human feces is a health concern and just plain nasty.
I don't know what I would have done but it would not have been pretty.

No Doubt

There is a story about the biggest landscape company here. Have heard about it several time, so I believe that it is true.
The owner, Monte, was seen peeing in a water jug of a crew he was mad at, they grabbed him. Nearly killed him, they beat him so bad. Health department checked, and there was urine in the water. All three guys were acquitted of assault charges. In return, they sued him and won. Now there is 4 big landscape companies here!
What makes people do this type of stuff?

The word ' accident' is used to politley describe the outcome of a negative and horrendous chain of events brought on by a person/s lack of perfection in performance, negligence, or outright competence.

" I put oil in the gas tank by accident"

Is a three car pile-up caused by someone using a cell phone and accident?
Is getting pulled through the chipper because one was using his foot to push vines in an accident?
Is walking through a yard and stepping into an unseen hole and breaking one's ankle an accident?

With each accident an investigation is made as to the cause of the accident.

whoever said that getting stung by bees is avoidable? NONSENSE!

I had an entire crew stung by yellow jackets yesterday, among which was my climber. No, he wasn't in a tree.

No, it wasn't avoidable. If you think you can spot where the little critters are living, or avoid their defenses, you are sadly mistaken.

I agree about bees -you just cant always see them
But I do have one kind of accident happen to me all the time - I'll go inspect a tree and while looking at it, I seem always find a dog turd to step into- makes me mad as a son of a gun!!! :censored:

So he'd sprayed HERSHEY SQUIRTS on people , that is kinda gross yet kinda funny .......I thought that taking a duzenberg in the back of the man cab was the worst that I have ever seen , but your guy takes it to a new level ....

So he'd sprayed HERSHEY SQUIRTS on people , that is kinda gross yet kinda funny .......I thought that taking a duzenberg in the back of the man cab was the worst that I have ever seen , but your guy takes it to a new level ....

No it is not funny imo,its sick now grease on a door knob I get but a practical joke should not be something I will want to kill for.

No it is not funny imo,its sick now grease on a door knob I get but a practical joke should not be something I will want to kill for.

Oh its only funny cause he didn't do it to me or someone I know , honestly in that situation the moral high road flies right out of the window I would have beat him with a heavy object BAD there would have been no call to the boss just the police for an ambulance ...

Oh its only funny cause he didn't do it to me or someone I know , honestly in that situation the moral high road flies right out of the window I would have beat him with a heavy object BAD there would have been no call to the boss just the police for an ambulance ...

Yeah well, I was very angry with management and still reflect upon them from time to time. If it were not for my wife I may have given them a going away present.

Yeah well, I was very angry with management and still reflect upon them from time to time. If it were not for my wife I may have given them a going away present.

I also think of my wife in those situations and if she was standing next to me she would surely say kick that ###### ####### ### now or I lose all respect for you , maybe in so many words ...

Latest posts

Back