What is in your 1st aid Kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushinspector

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone was putting in their first aid kits. As a medic I think I have a good idea but was wanting some feedback. My plans is to keep it in an old army ammo box with that has a first class seal on it.

Just wondering what everyone was putting in their first aid kits. As a medic I think I have a good idea but was wanting some feedback. My plans is to keep it in an old army ammo box with that has a first class seal on it.

If you're an EMT-P, you shouldn't be asking, you should be telling... :laugh:

I'm just a lowly (out of cert) -A, but this is what I carry...

4x4s, vaseline 4x4s, a couple 8x10s, roll of gauze, squirt bottle of saline with the tip cut larger, bandaids, tape, emt scissors, tweezers, gloves, ace bandage, sanitary napkins in a baggie, baby wipes in a baggie, paper towels in a baggie. and i have a little 'snivel kit' in there as well.

i don't carry any splints because there's enough in the woods; i don't carry a breath mask but probably should.

oh yeah, some duct tape - not a full roll; sliced in half and re-wrapped around an old micro-pore roller....

My bad you did cover your butt in your post, just misread it. I learned a long time a go that advise from the field is always very valuable. Once a medic always a medic. Just because your out of date on your card don't mean that you forgot everything that you knew. What about over the counter meds?

If you're an EMT-P, you shouldn't be asking, you should be telling... :laugh:

I'm just a lowly (out of cert) -A, but this is what I carry...

4x4s, vaseline 4x4s, a couple 8x10s, roll of gauze, squirt bottle of saline with the tip cut larger, bandaids, tape, emt scissors, tweezers, gloves, ace bandage, sanitary napkins in a baggie, baby wipes in a baggie, paper towels in a baggie. and i have a little 'snivel kit' in there as well.

i don't carry any splints because there's enough in the woods; i don't carry a breath mask but probably should.

oh yeah, some duct tape - not a full roll; sliced in half and re-wrapped around an old micro-pore roller....

Sounds Good...
Especially those sanitary napkins.
They can help alot if the wound is bleeding heavily.
Smelling salts or whatever their called is another good one.
And dont forget the Purell. For disinfectant.
Does anyone know how this would work on an open wound ???
I know it would hurt like hell. But if it's gonna stop an infection
it's worth it.

A decent "put toghether", Sams/WalMart, first aid kit, five tampons, and a roll of duct tape.

on my belt

whistle , 25 assorited bandaids, 4 Gauze pads 4"x 4" , 2 Pressure dressing 4"x 6" elastic tails, 1 Adhesive tape l"x 5yrd

In my truck

1-Splinter forceps 4 1/2"

2-Cotton24-Antiseptic towelettes

30-Hand Cleaner

100-Assorted bandaids

6-Gauze pads 4"x 4" 2/pkg.

4-Pressure dressing 4"x 6" elastic tails

2-Tensor bandage 3"

1-Adhesive tape l"x 5yrd.

4-Surgi pads 8"x 10"

6-Triangular bandage

1-Bandage scissors

tip applicators

1-Pocket Mask

6pr-Latex gloves

squirt bottle of saline

Last edited:
On my harness:

- 6" x 30" stretchy latex flat band, for applying pressure to a chainsaw gash (NOT as a tourniquiet!!!, only for pressure)

- 12" x 10" x 1" thick stomach dressing (fold in half, press on wound, wrap with latex band. Highly absorbent)

- Fox 40 whistle

My bad you did cover your butt in your post, just misread it. I learned a long time a go that advise from the field is always very valuable. Once a medic always a medic. Just because your out of date on your card don't mean that you forgot everything that you knew. What about over the counter meds?

baby wipes pack so much better than a roll. plus, the tender side of me needs the lotion... hahahaha....

snivel kit has all the usual otc meds. aspirin, aceto, ibu, nose drip, some single-use packets of neosporin, hydrocortisone, poison icy lotion (necru?, good stuff, forget the name)...

Sounds Good...
Especially those sanitary napkins.
They can help alot if the wound is bleeding heavily.
Smelling salts or whatever their called is another good one.
And dont forget the Purell. For disinfectant.
Does anyone know how this would work on an open wound ???
I know it would hurt like hell. But if it's gonna stop an infection
it's worth it.

smelling salts, good one. i used to have some but took them out to give to my brother-in-law. need to put some back in.

i forget the tube of neosporin cream and q-tips. i use the saline for irrigation. any wound in the woods is going to be full of crap so it'll first get flooded with water to remove gross matter and then the saline squeezie bottle to clean interstitial debris from the wound field. the vaseline 4x4s actually have antibiotic on them as well too.

don't put purell or any other alocohol-based disinfectant liquid/gel in an open would. it'll hurt like hell and not do much good since it just sits there. if you want something better, hydrogen peroxide is really good since the fizzing will help remove debris and other matter. trouble is, it takes up a lot of room (as do most liquids).

first aid kits are all tradeoffs...

What I have done is to take a small eye wash bottle and clean it out and put the peroxide in it. Then you can use it as a squirt bottle to wash wounds out. Make sure you mark the outside bottle so everyone knows what is in it.

Hydrogen peroxide no longer recommended

Good Thread...

I am just doing my CPR First Aid recert, and our instructor (Red Cross) has just told us that hydrogen peroxide is no longer recommended to clean out wounds as it actually kills your cells. If you do want to use what you have then dilute it, even further than as it comes in the bottle from the pharmacy. Otherwise they are now recommending the saline soution (eyewash) or just loads of water, depends where you are, how much you can carry and your budget!

The best antiseptic/disinfectant is Dettol, unfortunately it is a British product you most of you can't get it. We get it here in the 'overseas territories', it comes in cream and liquid. It is the only thing that will put the keebosh on a coral infection so it HAS to be good.

I carry, assorted fabric bandaids (the plastic ones just sweat off), telfa pads of various sizes, tape, medium and large wound dressings, eyewash, rolls of gauze and a couple of ace bandages, triangular bandage, antiseptic cream,alcohol wipes, ammonia capsules, CPR shield, gloves, scissors, tweezers, notebook and pen. The site specific risk assessment goes in the first aid kit so if there is an emergency it is the logical place for it to be found should someone need to refer to it. My kit is a big yellow plastic toolbox.

Yes, I have heard the issue of peroxide but it really seems like they are two basic camps out on this. One says its still good and the other one is tissue killer. I like peroxide due to the foaming action. Don't know if it kills cells or not but is sure is cool looking!!! Thanks for the added info.

Bushinspector

Speaking of infection, you might want to consider a tetanus booster every ten years. Mention it if you happen to be at the doctor for something.

Good Thread...

I am just doing my CPR First Aid recert, and our instructor (Red Cross) has just told us that hydrogen peroxide is no longer recommended to clean out wounds as it actually kills your cells.

Of course it does, that's how it works... :)

The only time I'd use it would be initial wound field cleaning if the wound was dirty - like if you tapped yourself with the saw. Doesn't work on punctures either.

I actually went through my kit earlier today to see if there was anything else in there I missed mentioning: QTips, Cold Compress, ammonia stick for bug bites.

Good Thread...

I am just doing my CPR First Aid recert, and our instructor (Red Cross) has just told us that hydrogen peroxide is no longer recommended to clean out wounds as it actually kills your cells. If you do want to use what you have then dilute it, even further than as it comes in the bottle from the pharmacy. Otherwise they are now recommending the saline soution (eyewash) or just loads of water, depends where you are, how much you can carry and your budget!

This came as a shock to me, I take 1st aid courses every couple of years and all of a sudden, its NFG. I call BS, I don't care if it kills cells, I have got infections from stuff impaled into my skin before. Whatever works, and it does. Once my sister in laws dog bit me, everyone was telling me to go to the doctor, it will get infected blah blah. I ran hot water in the sink and poured bleach right into the bite, hurt but worked. This new peroxide line is just total bunk, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Please be a little careful with the OTC's

Hi there everyone:

The first aid kit I have is also in an old ammo can, really nice that they are waterproof and completely dark. The 4x4 dressings are important, as is a lot of gauze. The great peroxide debate rolls on, but medically it doesn't really help at all.

This is a big one though, in recent years there has been a change to allow wounds that are open, and not bleeding to heal open rather than through an occlusive method. If I pick up a shooting victim that has a "through and through" wound in their arm or leg, rarely do they suture them up. So with that said, keep you wounds very clean and lightly dressed if there is no serious bleeding. Washing with soap and water is better than peroxide anyway, followed by a nice and clean dressing.

Try not to take some of the OTC (over the counter) pain killers if you need sutures, but can't get them right away (Distance/Time/Location) Some of them inhibit clotting factors that are in place. These include all aspirins and NSAIDS (Aleve/Motrin/Advil) to some extent.

Besides the gauze and bandages, I carry a lot of gloves, medical tape, abdominal trauma dressing for heavy bleeding, Small saran wrap for occlusive dressings, baggies for amputated digits/trash, baby wipes, a whistle, and finally REALLY GOOD SOAP form the pharmacy. It should be a good surgical medical soap available OTC with 2% Chlorhexedine Gluconate. Try to make sure you use clean water. If it's from a lake or standing water, DON'T BOTHER, and you are better off waiting for clean water. The number of long term admissions for lake accidents from waterbourne bacteria invading wounds is staggering and not discussed enough.

Don't put Purell or other alcohol based cleaners into your wounds. They are a sterilent, and will kill just as many good cells as bad. Use the soap. I am more than happy to post pictures of my set up, please stay safe, and a little soap and water will save you from an admission more often than you think.

Jason

Back