What is the purpose of the AS chainsaw forum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manuals are for sissies...which brings to mind the MS180:greenchainsaw:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I must confess to you. After many years in the biz I was sent to Va Beach to be ceritified. Was a learning experiance to say the least. I found out I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. On the forth day of heads in the book guess what, it was test time. We had one hour with the ole teacher watching the clock to completely tear down a unit, find all the faults he put in it himself, write down what you found wrong and put it back together. 60 minutes was all he gave you. Some got thier units done, some didn't. Some had trimmers, some had chainsaws. On my table sat what, yup, a 180. I've known for years how strong the internals are in that little motor. I too was afraid I was going to break it, it surprized me.

BTW I was done in 40 minutes..

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I must confess to you. After many years in the biz I was sent to Va Beach to be ceritified. Was a learning experiance to say the least. I found out I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. On the forth day of heads in the book guess what, it was test time. We had one hour with the ole teacher watching the clock to completely tear down a unit, find all the faults he put in it himself, write down what you found wrong and put it back together. 60 minutes was you he gave. Some got thier units done, some didn't. Some had trimmers, some had chainsaws. On my table sat what, yup, a 180. I've known for years how strong the internals are in that little motor. I too was afraid I was going to break it, it surprized me.

BTW I was done in 40 minutes..

Tommie,

Not what Miss Demi said. :dizzy:

ole joat

Holds on there a second grasshopper. That thread wasn't intended to discredit a member, it was intended to put a rumor to rest. That rumor has been floating around this site for months and I knew it was bogus from the start. I let it slide for a long long time. It was time to put it to the test. The rumor failed under the camera. The member who started this rumor has pretty well fessed up he used the wrong piston stop the first time and his own post, 110 in that thread, explains clearly it was not the rod but the method used on the rod that caused it to fail. You can't have it both ways, sorry. Do the proper method and it fails you got a legit complaint. Do it the wrong way and it fails, your own fault.

Now I thought I was very humorous and nice to Brad throughout that thread. He sure didn't seem upset to me. We've been pm'ing each other and we're yaking in this thread as well. The boxers never pay any mind to the crowd in the stands, it seems the crowd in the stands may be the problem this thread is trying to reveal. I'm reading that again, hmmmmmm, had to highlight so I could see it, dayummm the hammer hit the nail so hard it went through the board, hot diggy dog,LOLOL

So it took 110 posts in the 3rd or 4th thread to reach that conclusion? Now you don't see a problem with that?

So it took 110 posts in the 3rd or 4th thread to reach that conclusion? Now you don't see a problem with that?

None what so ever. I don't see the problem with mixing it up, shooting the bull, making some points as long as it doesn't get too ruff or out of hand. Its not like I ask anyone to hold my flank. Brad and me just had a differance of opinion and I set out to put it to the test. Brad seems fine to me. Hell he's giving me more of a hard time now than he ever has, I enjoy it. He is by no means upset that I can tell. He's dishing on me, I'm grinning and tossing it back to him. The folks in the stands may feel differantly but to me, my point is with Brad and him and I are fine. I see it like this. If everyone got along great, never disagreed at all on anything this board wouldn't be worth looking at. Conflict on a forumn is about the only entertainment it provides.

I really don't know, so I'll guess. It's that real soft stuff and is only about 1/4". I'd say stick 12" in there, lol. If you're using stiffer rope, use less. Oh boy. I can see where this is going:popcorn:

12 inches, bragger. LOL

I'll make sure the psiton is well below TDC just like you described. I'll even show it with the pan off. Then we'll see what she does. I think she will bend just like yours did. If not then heres what I will be saying to you.

You got 12 inches but my rod is stiffer,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I really don't know, so I'll guess. It's that real soft stuff and is only about 1/4". I'd say stick 12" in there, lol. If you're using stiffer rope, use less. Oh boy. I can see where this is going:popcorn:

Now what have I gotten myself into?:monkey:

Bradley,

The old saying, "Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself" comes to mind.

RTFM,

ole joat

Well I'm just going to come out and say it. They're some people on here that just need to leave, or get the boot.(if I'm one of them just let me know):) It seem like every time I log on to AS I find 10 threads with 30+ pages, and each page has zero value. I like one liners as much as the next guy, but 30+ pages of zingers is a bit much. Like Nik said, most brand wars are caused by people that probably never even use their saws, and they probably don't even really like saws, they just have nothing better to do. Or they are sent here buy the manufactures.

Now we can move on to the guys that just cant let things go, or accept defeat. These guys (typically dealers):poke: are not willing to accept some of the products they sell aren't 100% perfect. Sorry but that is just pathetic. It sure seems like most dealers don't like most saw builders, I guess somewone is afraid of loosing something.:dunno:

Anyway 99% Of the people on this site are great, but that 1% sure can make things more unpleasant than it needs to be.:cry:

Well in the words of Forrest Gump, that all I have to say about that.:popcorn:

Last edited:
There certainly has been a decline. Not sure that more vigorous moderation would solve it, because there has been a brain drain more than anything. Fewer and fewer guys who really know their stuff, more homeowner types. Where'd the arborists go? The loggers? Heck, we don't hardly even have line clearance cutter people hanging around anymore!

If I wanted to know what homeowner-types had to say about saws, I'd log off the site and just talk into a mirror.

EDIT: There are certain members whose presence on this site is now and historically has been a zero value-added experience for the rest of us, and their rubbish should be moderated away. AOD springs to mind, though he's certainly not the only one.

First off...it's extremely difficult to maintain quality the larger you grow, wether it's a business or a forum. IMO some of the original or long term folks
have become bored with the same questions, the mud-slinging, & constant high-jacking of threads.

Latest posts

Back