What is ther best way to clean off tree sap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
What is ther best way to clean tree sap off of a chainsaw that won't damage the paint? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
What is ther best way to clean tree sap off of a chainsaw that won't damage the paint? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

With enough negative reputation points, the computer will automatically remove sap, or regular kerosene on a rag as a wipe will take care of surface sap.

Put a box of baking soda in water,lets say one gallon of water and let soak your parts one night if the sap is not too thick and thicker let soak two night.Remove the parts from water and brush them to remove the balance of sap.Works great but leaves the parts a bit duller than normal.Try just one part to see if you are pleased with the result.

talon1189 said:

Turtle Wax makes a can of stuff called Bug and Tar remover for cars. Its safe on paint and it will remove tar so surely it will remove sap.

Grats on the new 361, nice saw, very nice indeed..

i use the orange goop.It takes sap of everything.Not sure how it is on paint but its safe for body parts so im guessin its safe on paint

WD-40, kerosene, mineral spirits. Stay away from alcohals(starting fluids, carb cleaners) and ketones. Fuel mix will work as will cooking oil. Use a soft rag like a sock (clean). If it has dried hard spray it down with WD-40 and let it sit for awhile then spray it again. After that wipe it off. Bug and tar removers work well but some are a little strong for the plastic and/or rubber saw parts and can remove the luster and make them brittle. Try it first in a small area. I use WD-40 and mineral spirits with rags and a blow gun.

I regularly use margerine or any canola based oily type product (like just the oil) for pine and fir pitch, soap and water afterwards (on hands and clothing, not saws lol), even peanut butter will work but that tastes terrible afterwards :D For real tuff stuff windex, tar cleaner (car care products) iso based products, or just a bit of good old gasoline. Stay away from acetone or tolune (sp?) based products as they will ruin painted surfaces pretty quickly, not so nice on plastic parts either.

I use automotive trim release agent. It comes in an aerosol can. It doesn't evaporate quickly which allows it to soak into the sap to break it down so you can remove it easily. It is designed to be used on painted surfaces and plastic.

Latest posts

Back