What is this big bug/larve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
I may build a "wood room" with screened vents this summer.

Darn critters.

Might as well get used to them, they were here watching as the dinosaurs came and went, and they'll be here when the same will be true about us. I think arthropods are fascinating, although I have to admit spiders creep me out a little, sometimes.

They're fishbait. I don't know what the scientific name is, but we used to peel the bark off of rotting logs when I was a kid to get them or ones that look a lot like them for use on the end of a hook .

Ian

They're fishbait. I don't know what the scientific name is, but we used to peel the bark off of rotting logs when I was a kid to get them or ones that look a lot like them for use on the end of a hook .

Ian

Good reminder post. We do the same. We have a few acres with a creek running through the middle. Whenver we find these, we save them up and feed them to the trout. Nice wind down after working hard for a few hours.

Might as well get used to them, they were here watching as the dinosaurs came and went, and they'll be here when the same will be true about us. I think arthropods are fascinating, although I have to admit spiders creep me out a little, sometimes.

Bugs don't bother me. The bigger they are the coller they are! I spend several weeks camping and sleeping on the ground every year.

I am a little concerned that they will eat my house :laugh:

The wife doesn't really like the spiders in the house too much either.
I told her to get used to it.:D

It sure is nice to have wood within 10 feet of the furnace all winter.

Here is a cool pic of a fat fly that was lost and needed to check my map last summer.
BorderrouteTrail2006075.jpg

Last edited:
Bugs don't bother me. The bigger they are the coller they are! I spend several weeks camping and sleeping on the ground every year.

I am a little concerned that they will eat my house :laugh:

The wife doesn't really like the spiders in the house too much either.
I told her to get used to it.:D

It sure is nice to have wood within 10 feet of the furnace all winter.

Here is a cool pic of a fat fly that was lost and needed to check my map last summer.
BorderrouteTrail2006075.jpg
Cool pics moddoo! We watch our wood piles for bugs carefully as there are a couple that can cause grief, hornets and wasps (sleepy little fellows that love revival meetings at 2AM then go back to bed, in your clothes, shoes etc, to be found later), old alder stacks seem to be a favorite nesting area for black widows but the ones up here aren't as poisonous as further south varieties (more like a bee sting), and the one I really don't like are the big brown spiders (recluse I believe)) which are just plain nasty things (the ex has a nice permenant lump of scar (quarter sized) where she was bitten on her ankle years ago, she swore the thing attacked her and I tend to believe her, they are aggresive), and top of my list are carpenter ants, destructive little miscreants if ever there were. I once flicked one at da kitty while she was sleeping and it latched onto her paw between her toes, woke up and did the most pathetic three-legged dance ever whilst singing an me-owee-aria,poor thing would freak out at a sugar ant after that (yes I felt bad, after laughing mao, oops :( ). At least we don't have poisonous snakes or scorpions to contend with.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back