What Is This?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if this may have been used in the logging industry "way back when"? My Dad gave it to me and he seemed to think it was driven into a log and used to pull the log through the woods. If it was, what is it called? If it isn't, does anyone know what it is?

Thanks, Jeff

Yukon, those are called grabs. I guess they used to be common, but are now used mainly by a few animal loggers. I have a set that I use occasionaly with my log cart and mules. When I have a log that is higher than the hitch point on my cart, they can be driven in parallel with the log and the part with the hole facing forward has a chain attached. One grab on each side of the log and the chain from each side going straight up to the hitch point on the cart will give the log lift when you move ahead. The "porch swing effect". I only use them on larger logs. They can also be driven in singly on multiple smaller logs or used to hook logs end to end, train style. A several lb. hammer called a skipper which looks like a maul with a pointed end instead of a splitting end, is used to drive them in and out. Dont think you can by them anymore. Mine were made by the Dixie Co.

John

Thanks John, my Dad was right again :) By the looks of this one it has been around a while. Not sure where he got it, but I'm sure it was well used by looking at the peen marks on the back side of it. Anyhow it's going in my back room with some of my other old logging "junk".

Thanks again, Jeff

Back