What is wrong with my saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoesTreeService

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My nearly new Stihl 017 (which I use ALOT on the ground for limbing) is not running right, it started all the sudden.

It will start and idle, but as soon as I try to increase the rpm's to use it, it bogs down and dies. Any advice from saw experts or anyone whose had this problem? This saw more than likely has under 50 hrs on it. This is the first season.

BoesTreeService said:
My nearly new Stihl 017 (which I use ALOT on the ground for limbing) is not running right, it started all the sudden.

It will start and idle, but as soon as I try to increase the rpm's to use it, it bogs down and dies. Any advice from saw experts or anyone whose had this problem? This saw more than likely has under 50 hrs on it. This is the first season.
Turn the low speed mixture screw ccw as far as the limiter cap will let it turn.

Fuel system problem IMO. As said, start from air filter cleanup. Let to warm engine at iddling and and adjust L screw to idle poperly (not too much fourstroking, not complete absent of it, no chain movement). Then try to accelerate slowly and rapidly. If it works now, then try the adjusment of H screw to a little richer and check again.

What is wrong with your saw??? You said it yourself..its a Stihl.:taped:

Adjust the low speed carb jet, starting with one full turn CCW, then make adjustments of 1/8 turn in either direction until you get the great accelleration you are looking for. I say either direction, because at low elevations it may need another 1/8th turn CCW and above 5000' elevation it make take a 1/8th turn CW to achieve the correct setting. But in any case, use 1/8th increments in finding the right place for your carb at your location. Good luck.

Back