What is your mechanical history and aptitude?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is less aptitude and more inherent traits:

*curiosity on how it works or how to make it work better
*annoyed by something not working
*persistence, I would never give up and dad would let me err or ask before showing me how...and chuckle under his breath
*dislike of waste, throwing something out rather than fixing it

My brother and I started cutting lawns, and we would gather equipment set to the curb. I would cannibalize our free equipment and get it running. I even painted them an awful yellow and stenciled our logo on them. He is personable and would gather "accounts" through mailing index cards and knocking on doors. Seems I did more cutting, pruning, raking and blowing than he did....but someone had to have a head for business.

We made big money (for us) all through Jr High and High School. He made a business out of it, and I found a lifetime
enjoyment of using my hands to make internal combustion equipment sing. He always reminds me I have a place in the back shop when I retire.

I now repair for friends, family and neighbors. As well, my buddy brings me throw aways from the township dump, which I rehabilitate an donate to our church to sell at their rummage sales. It aint a bad life to work on something in the shop with a cold beer and NCIS on in the background.

I grew up fixing stuff because there was no other option. My dad left when I was in 8th grade. He never taught me much other that how to be angry. My mom asked the janitor where she worked to come and teach me how to change the oil in her car. That was the start of it all. The Garage of Repair and Despair was open for business. There were no computers back then, but if I could find a book with instructions I could fix it. I once read an interesting book called: How to Fix Anything. It was pretty motivational and it turned out to be a great read full of good advice for tackling a range of projects. I am a scientist by trade, but I turn wrenches for fun. The one thing I have never been any good at is soldering very small electronics. A man has to know his limits.

Latest posts

Back