What I've been up to....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I thought I'd share what I've been fiddling with lately. I got these done over the last few days.

I put the little mill to the test and milled a log bigger than it was designed for. I had to take the guides off and pre-cut the cant to clear the mill frame. It worked fairly well. We plan to modify the frame and eliminate that problem.

attachment.php

Since I have so many logs to mill, I'm going for quality over quantity. This is what I was left with- 2- 6" wide heartwood cants to cut into 4/4.

attachment.php

The sapwood flitches got cut into stickers.

attachment.php

Result - 56 sweetgum 1x6x8's (foreground) from 2 logs. I'll re-stack and sticker them tonight.

attachment.php

My Dad and I did these Sunday afternoon.

50 SYP 2x6x13's. They will be rafters in a barn we have on the drawing board. You can also see the sticker stack I'm building in the right side of the pic.

attachment.php

More to come.....

Last edited:
Aggie I love to see pics of others operations. Even same operations over and over, don't care, just like looking at them. Thanks... I envy your space and place to mill. I assume you will let those stickers dry before using them?
Nice to be able to gang mill like that... knock out some serious production. I love it.

Aggie I love to see pics of others operations. Even same operations over and over, don't care, just like looking at them. Thanks... I envy your space and place to mill. I assume you will let those stickers dry before using them?
Nice to be able to gang mill like that... knock out some serious production. I love it.

+1

Exelent pic's Aggie

Great stuff Aggie .... you took some real good shot's of your stack's , you got some especially good shot's of the bandmill , seem's to cut some real good timber . Thank's for sharing your pic's . Cheer's MM

Those are really good pics.

And it's especially great when you can be with your Dad,
to share that time together!!
Life is short, my friend.
Your parents need you to be there for them..

That is a big stick on that mill. You did answer the question; how much wood a woodchuck could chuck… Sorry, had to say it.

Looks good...

I just get so jealous of all these folks with access to decent size wood.

I will never get access to a log that size here.

(Not that I would want to have to move it :) )

Those are really good pics.

And it's especially great when you can be with your Dad,
to share that time together!!
Life is short, my friend.
Your parents need you to be there for them..

ditto ditto ditto... my Dad is 80, and we still spend a lot of time out in his woods cutting trees and milling lumber. I hope to still be doing do when he is 90. It's a good way to spend time with a Dad (or Mom I suppose...):)

ditto ditto ditto... my Dad is 80, and we still spend a lot of time out in his woods cutting trees and milling lumber. I hope to still be doing do when he is 90. It's a good way to spend time with a Dad (or Mom I suppose...):)

My dad passed way about 8 years ago so he's missed my re-discovery of woodwork and milling. I did get to spend a fair bit of time with him in the bush cutting down trees from when I was about 6 until I was 13. It was a kind of magical time, watching the giant karri and jarrahs fall, riding the D9 dozer hauling logs back to base and then riding the bush train and later log hauling trucks, and climbing over piles of logs and lumber at the saw mill. It's ironic that he slaved his guts out with a CS to send me to college so that I didn't have to work with my hands but that is what I choose to do for relaxation!

Hey Aggie,
Man, you have been busy. I haven't visited much, due to my work schedule, it's dark outside going to work, and coming home.
Looks like you better build a big barn for all the wood. Are ya going to build a wood kiln to speed up that drying process?
That mill looks sweet...

Later,
Ted

Hey Aggie,
Man, you have been busy. I haven't visited much, due to my work schedule, it's dark outside going to work, and coming home.
Looks like you better build a big barn for all the wood. Are ya going to build a wood kiln to speed up that drying process?
That mill looks sweet...

Later,
Ted

Howdy Ted!

I hear you about the problem of work getting in the way. I've just been finding bits and pieces of time to play... and using several halogen light stands to make some time to play.

We're talking about a kiln but it's unlikely to happen soon.

Later-

Howdy Ted!

I hear you about the problem of work getting in the way. I've just been finding bits and pieces of time to play... and using several halogen light stands to make some time to play.

We're talking about a kiln but it's unlikely to happen soon.

Later-

I told the wife I would build her a greenhouse. So my idea is to build a kiln and intergrate along the length of the sidewall of the greenhouse, making it expandable.
Of course this won't happen until I get the extension finished on the small metal building I currently have for a shop. There's no room to do anything so it's more of a storage space so I'm adding onto it to make a storage room.
Then maybe I can get some projects done.... maybe!

Later,
Ted

Nice pics

How do you like the mill? Ive never seen one of those...What size engine does it have>?

Latest posts

Back