What kind of insect is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontLaffAtMe

Reaction score
Hi all, I was googling all over the place yesterday trying to identify an insect which came out of wood I was splitting. I cannot identify this. Can anyone help? The wood was from the Valley in Los Angeles, California.

Thanks!

Those are termites....:jawdrop:

attachment.php

Thanks for the quick reply!! For some reason when I googled termites and looked for pics, none of the pics I saw on the internet looked like the insects in my pics. The all have long legs and antennas from what I saw. My pics don't.

Thanks!

Those are full grown workers...The soldiers have a reddish hard head...The swarmers are dark in color and have wings...
Spot on, Definitely termites. Those little:censored:can do a world of damage. I've had to rebuild whole buildings because of them. Two years ago had to replace my MIL's whole back screen in deck from those suckers. We ripped boards off and there would be thousands of them behind it. Don't put that wood anywhere near the house.

SS has rebuilt his MIL's entire house by now. Reckon it needed it cause all the courtin' an such?

Screwed together???

Nailed?

:)

Last edited:
Hey Freehand, Is that pic you hijacked on your sig really the house that SS rebuilt for his MIL?

Don't put that wood anywhere near the house.

How far is good enough? I have some other wood on racks over concrete about 5' from a corner of my home. Those never had termites but is that still safe in case it does?

Anyways, thanks all for the info. I hope to go through the site more thoroughly in the days/weeks to come. Looks very helpful!

Latest posts

Back