What kind of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy, thos are the only pics I have. The tree is about 750 miles away from me. The pics were taken by my wife's uncle.

Roger- There just isn't enough detail. There are lots of things it could be including several more northern native species.

Maybe I'll ask the guy (no relation to Guy M on AS :)) that took the pics. After all, he was the head gardener at Disneyworld for 30 years!

Kate, with all due respect, I've been in several jacarandas bigger than that. I will agree that they're unlikely to get that big in VT... :umpkin:

Guy, my uncle said if it were a jacaranda it would likely be in bloom now. He's looking into it.

Yeah, those purple fowers are hard to miss. Can't he email a picture of the leaves? That or take some down to his county ag ext ofc. What county is it?

treeseer said:
Can't he email a picture of the leaves? That or take some down to his county ag ext ofc. What county is it?

This tree is in the yard of a house I am thinking of purchasing. He would have to drive out to take a pic of the leaves, and I don't want him to have to make a special trip just for that. We are waiting to see what it appraises at to see if we want to pursue it. If the price is right, he will go and take pictures of the interior of the house. At that time he can get a closeup of the leaves. It's in Seminole County.

what tree is this?

I should have expounded - I grew up in South Florida and have spent a lot of time working there over the years (warm winter work is a wonderful thing when you live in Zone 3). Even Fairchild's aren't that big - well, even before Andrew I never saw one that size there. I would agree that the flowers are a dead bang giveaway. I'd really like to see a jacaranda that size in bloom. Driving directions to see one?? Please?

Kate Butler said:
I'd really like to see a jacaranda that size in bloom. Driving directions to see one?? Please?
There's one in clearwater, hwy 19 intersection near 580.

Seasonal migration can be fun--I went from WI to the keys and back for years.

Mike Maas said:
How do you like the Keys? It's so pretty down there.
I liked it well 20+ yrs ago, when I was there. It's built up a bit I hear; less fun places to go.

manthisis big font--you need glasses?

That is a camphor tree. Cinnamonum camphora.

BTW, there ARE plenty of jacarandas in and around Tampa that are bigger than that.

If Brett's right that is a great asset. Tough evergreen pretty pest free. Man, even with my specs I can't see enuf detail to ID it; Brett oughta change his sig to Hawkeye!

Holy mother of China, I hope it's not a Camphor Laurel.

Now lets see, it's origin is China, and it's bad news.

I kept an eye on this thread but it seemed the spread was a little to wide, ours tend to be more erect. But here's the site with the news ... BAD NEWS

http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/factsheets/pdf/pest/PP46.pdf

It's a full on slaughter of this pest over here.

Ekka in florida it's not that invasive. They have brazilian pepper, melaleuca and casuarina to worry about instead.

It's hard not to do anything you can for a koala, but what % of the trees there are bluegum? hOw much protection do they need? There's a fine line between healthy diversity and unhealthy invasiveness. Tough decisions putting plants on lists like that.

Recent research has now found that the toxic tree also polutes the water as it lives mostly on riversides and creek banks. God bye Mr Platypus, turtle and trout ... we have mothballs in the river.

I forget the word off hand but it's leaves are toxic to other plants, nothing else grows near it, nothing can eat it, it's not native and it's taking over.

Also in a domestic situation it has a mongrel root system. Buttress roots, surface roots, those special pipe seeking roots not to mention the concrete buster roots ... frankly it's a heap of **** that even agent orange didn't kill!

Ekka said:
Also in a domestic situation it has a mongrel root system.
never saw surface roots in florida's sandy soil. Releasing camphor in the water, that's freaky. Not surprisisng it's somewhat allelopathic, that oil is strong. there was a big one in my family's yard; other stuff grew under it fine.

are casuarina and melaleuca invasive in australia? no, cuz they're native?

Latest posts

Back