what kind of tree is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello,
i have a large pine type of tree in the front yard, notice how the tree leans over my neighbors yard. i would like to trim those branches that hang over his yard, would the best way be to tie onto the limbs at the top, run a rope over to a cum a long, and winch it tight then cut the bottom and let the branch drop down so we can control its drop to the ground.

there is a fence in between our houses and a few cable and phone lines that are close.

additionally the tree has some sort of moss growing in it. any ideas of how to remove the moss without killing the tree or everything around it. i have read where the trees are dying due to the roots not breathing, should the ground be removed from aroundt the trunk to stop this or am i ? mistaken
thanks

It looks like some kind of true cedar, Cedrus, though it's hard to tell without a close up of needles or cones. Guessing atlantica or libani, which are the atlas cedar and cedar of Lebanon, respectively. Maybe someone more familiar with them can tell. Gettin hacked up a bit there already, if you like the tree don't remove dirt, don't do any cutting yourself. No offense. Has the tree moved, or heaved the soil in your memory, or has it always had a lean? Trees can do quite well with a lean if they grew that way and have no defects. Moss and lichens do not hurt a tree. Trees can suffocate with the addition of soil, or over-compaction, but taking soil away will only take roots with it. If you care about the tree, get a good arborist to look at it.

better pictures

here are better pictures of the tree and the moss that is all over it. nothing has been trimmed on the tree except where my neighbor trimmed the tree over his cars. that is why i would like to trim the trim so my neighbor does not butcher it up or hurt himself. easier for me to do it, than to have a problem with a neighbor.

Back