What kind of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgpo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I've had this tree in my front yard for the last 30 years. I don't know what kind of tree it is, does anyone know?

Everytime it snows some branchs hang low and I wire it back up with baling wire.
The wires usually break after several years. I want to know if I should cut these low branches or continue to wire them back up? Or is there a better method of caring for this tree?

David

Italian cypress ( Cupressus sempervirens) ??

If it's not that I think it's one of the cupressus varities anyway.

Cheers

Ian

Hello,

Here is a closeup shot.

By the way the first photo was entitled "Barb's trip to St Louis". I left the photo in the camera that my wife took to St. Louis. The tree resides at my home in Bellevue, WA. This may make a difference in determining the specie.

David

Looking at the close up I want to guess it is a cultivar of Chamaecyparis pisifera, but admittedly nothing is jumping out at me. When stuck on conifer cultivar ID before I have emailed Blue Sterling nursery in NJ at [email protected]
or Iseli's Nursery in the NW at [email protected]
I have had good luck getting someone to help me and chances are one of them bred it to begin with!

Pyramidal juniper, "sky-rocket" most likely, maybe "wichata blue", or "moon-glow". I would go with "sky-rocket" though, pretty common landscape plant. Keep on wiring it up!

30 years is awhile ago

How about an older cultivar?

Juniperus communis 'Hibernica'

IRISH JUNIPER

OK, I won't trim the droopy boughs. I will keep wiring it up. Maybe I should find a heavier duty wire so I won't have to do this every year!

David

I've got it all wired up and it's looking much better.

Do you think it would be a good idea to top it? Would there be any side effects from topping?

David

Back