What kind of tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoulanInPA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The dead one, with peeling bark...it's either an ash or poplar, I think. I sure hope its an ash, not a poplar. It's just a matter of time until it comes down. It won't do any harm when it falls, but I'm wondering if I have good firewood or trash wood to deal with in my future. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-5183.JPG
    IMG-5183.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG-5184.JPG
    IMG-5184.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG-5185.JPG
    IMG-5185.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG-5186.JPG
    IMG-5186.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 52
My first thought was ash as well.

However, when I zoomed in I am not so sure. I think it is Black oak. There are no obvious EAB galleries (not that ash can't die from other causes...), and the bark looks a little off color and a flatter pattern than ash looking at it closer.

I could easily be talked into "ash", but my answer is Black oak.

It will be easy to tell the difference once it is cut...oak has very obvious rays when looking at the rings. They are not so pronounced in ash.

In this pic (from http://www.wood-database.com/black-oak/ ) the rays are the lines running perpendicular to the rings:
black-oak-endgrain.jpg

This is ash:
green-ash-endgrain.jpg

(the ash is quartersawn instead of flatsawn like the oak...so the rings are in not in the same direction in the pictures...but you can still see the prominent rays in oak that are not so obvious in ash.)

However, when I zoomed in I am not so sure. I think it is Black oak. There are no obvious EAB galleries (not that ash can't die from other causes...), and the bark looks a little off color and a flatter pattern than ash looking at it closer.

How are you zooming in ?

How are you zooming in ?
Yeah...this forum software is kinda a pain to do that. I right click on the image and select "open image in new tab". That new tab now has a full size image that you can zoom in and out.

(using Windows and Chrome browser).

It is easier to zoom in on a tablet or phone, but then you don't have as big of a screen...

Yeah...this forum software is kinda a pain to do that. I right click on the image and select "open image in new tab". That new tab now has a full size image that you can zoom in and out.

(using Windows and Chrome browser).

It is easier to zoom in on a tablet or phone, but then you don't have as big of a screen...
Thanks for this tip - leaned something new today! I agree - Black Oak.

My first thought was black oak also.

I agree with oak, but I think red oak.

Black oak is a member of the red oak family. So, you are correct also. But technically, that is a "black oak" tree. It doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things.

Latest posts

Back