What kind of tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedarkerf

Known to some as....
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not a native washington tree. Large bean pod like seeds. It was dark when I took pics so they are not to good.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Look at that. I finally new a tree ID and I'm way too late. Were I grew up we had these as "fence posts" surrounding an old orchard. They were there, so they got a fence nailed to them.

They are good at making you look stronger
than you are as very light wood can carry a large piece
and resembles balsa wood weight. I have heard they were
widely planted for lightning around homes in the twenties
to forties and were thought to attract lightning better
than other trees but may be a wifes tale.

They are good at making you look stronger
than you are as very light wood can carry a large piece
and resembles balsa wood weight. I have heard they were
widely planted for lightning around homes in the twenties
to forties and were thought to attract lightning better
than other trees but may be a wifes tale.
People wanted to attract lightning to their homes?

lightweigt

light wood, sought by woodcarvers. Need to see more of the tree, but we have northern catalpas here and I know of a 'chinese' catalpa at a local botanical garden. Don't have my ID book or a good enough pic to tell for sure though.........

Northern Catalpa....cool looking tree, very soft, and bad fire wood. I attempted to inject insecticide into a catalpa once and the entire mauget capsule sunk right into the bark when I tried to hammer it in:dizzy:

I treat catalpas with merit now..........

light wood, sought by woodcarvers. Need to see more of the tree, but we have northern catalpas here and I know of a 'chinese' catalpa at a local botanical garden. Don't have my ID book or a good enough pic to tell for sure though.........

Glad someone mentioned this. The wood is really nice for carving - similar to sassafrass but a little softer like basswood (linden). The grain is coarse like oak but consistent in hardness across the rings so it carves and sands smooth. I've heard it is the most dimensionally stable species in the US. I've planed and edged a green board and after a year on a shelf in my shop, it was still flat and lost maybe 1/16" in any direction. That may be another factor in the popularity with carvers. Large blocks are unlikely to split or check as they dry. It's probably too light for furniture but could be okay for small cabinets or clocks. It has a pleasant fragrance when cut or sawn.

Im taking a catapa down Saturday. It was tall in front of the house. It was struck by lightning to the point where it burnt the grass says the owner and it never even killed a branch. A wood pecker has made it it to start to dye. Its terrible fire wood. Stinks while its burning.

Latest posts

Back