what kind of wood works best in OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsteinmetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know someone out there can answer this for me. I just bought a Wood Doctor OWB and am wondering what type of wood would be most bentificial to use hard or soft. I have unlimited access to both but some people say green wood works best some say mix it. Do I cut all oak or should i cut both and mix it. Oak makes most sense to me. Thanks

Anything DRY .
burning green can not be done and if it does burn all the heat goes to drying the green wood so it will burn.
I ran out of seasoned wood and had to burn green to heat my greenhouse and i ended up dumping in used fryer oil to keep it going.
but you will see what works best .
as for types of wood..... hardwood will be best but with a boiler you can use whatever is cheap and in your area.

After 5 yrs of trying all kinds of wood; bark, sawdust, green wood or dry wood you will find that anything dry is the best way to go.
If your furnace does not have a forced draft you definitely need to burn dry wood.
If your furnace has a forced draft, you will definitely like the results of using dry wood.

Personally, I like 2 yr log round Beech, Maple, Oak, Black birch. Diameter: 6-12 inches. It's a lot less work to prep it for the stove and quicker loading. Lasts longer ,too. Not to mention, less smoke .

Free wood is the best

I prefer whiteOak,red oak, black oak, hickory, ash,walnut, osage orange,Locust, Poplar,Elm, beech, anything we have on the farm.
Right now the count is above 500 tree tops after the logging adventure.Some of it will rot away before we can get to it.

I know someone out there can answer this for me. I just bought a Wood Doctor OWB and am wondering what type of wood would be most bentificial to use hard or soft. I have unlimited access to both but some people say green wood works best some say mix it. Do I cut all oak or should i cut both and mix it. Oak makes most sense to me. Thanks

what made you pick the wood doctor & what model did ya get

I picked the Wood Doctor for alot of reasons. I looked at them all Central Boiler, Free heat machine, Heatmor, Aqua therm, Empyre, woodmaster the list goes on and I didnt think any of them were as heavy duty as the Wood Doctor. Wood Doctors are made of certified boilerplate and believe me when you open the door you can tell there is some weight there. Most of the other brands were mild steel or stainless steel. Wood Doctor also had a 30 year warranty. Pro rated of course but still the best of any other stove. The guy up the road also sells them and his smokes very little. I bought the 8000 sq ft model probably could have got by with the 4000 but if i ever move into a bigger house i can take it with. Plus less fills.

dry wood

You get more heat out of dry wood .Although you can probably burn almost anything. I try to use the softwood wetter wood early and late in the season. I keep the dry hardwood for the bitter cold times.
Oh ya, Congrats on the new OWB:cheers:

Thanks its gonna be sweet in Janruary when its twenty below out and im in shorts and not payin a red cent to the middle east.

I picked the Wood Doctor for alot of reasons. I looked at them all Central Boiler, Free heat machine, Heatmor, Aqua therm, Empyre, woodmaster the list goes on and I didnt think any of them were as heavy duty as the Wood Doctor. Wood Doctors are made of certified boilerplate and believe me when you open the door you can tell there is some weight there. Most of the other brands were mild steel or stainless steel. Wood Doctor also had a 30 year warranty. Pro rated of course but still the best of any other stove. The guy up the road also sells them and his smokes very little. I bought the 8000 sq ft model probably could have got by with the 4000 but if i ever move into a bigger house i can take it with. Plus less fills.

the question was what wood works best, not whats your favorite boiler :bang:

Back