What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can't Nik just make you a lathe during his lunch break on his super CNC gizmo robot? That's the way to go in my opinion.

The problem with buying used is that I have no idea what I'm looking for. What about a 9" Southbend model A?

That's what I have and it's a very good machine and not very large. I bought mine site unseen and it has worked flawlessly for 14 years.

Again, I would stay away from Harbor Freight. I have been fabricating and working with metal all my life and the HF stuff is crap! Grizzly is much, much better! They have parts and people on the phone that speak English! There are different grades of Chinese crap, they may look alike, but the quality can vary a lot...

Pay a GOOD machine rebuilder to look at anything Brad. $50 an hour and worth it.
If you get a SB, there is a Govt Document about attaching it to a homemade base to add rigidity. Done during WW II.

A DV-59 I'd a Hardinge second op lathe. No power feed but THE best sit down, Q&D, get the job done quick, more accurate than you are lathe God ever had built.

A DV-59 can often be had for a low price as CNCs do the second op these days. A Hardinge Speed Lathe would also work I think.

I'll go look.

If you buy a HF, do as MM said and then when you get a lathe, use it to polish on. Keeping grit off the ways of your "new" lathe.

Pay a GOOD machine rebuilder to look at anything Brad. $50 an hour and worth it.
If you get a SB, there is a Govt Document about attaching it to a homemade base to add rigidity. Done during WW II.

A DV-59 I'd a Hardinge second op lathe. No power feed but THE best sit down, Q&D, get the job done quick, more accurate than you are lathe God ever had built.

A DV-59 can often be had for a low price as CNCs do the second op these days. A Hardinge Speed Lathe would also work I think.

I'll go look.

If you buy a HF, do as MM said and then when you get a lathe, use it to polish on. Keeping grit off the ways of your "new" lathe.

How 'bout I hire you to find, purchase, deliver, and setup a DV-59 or similar:clap: You've been trying to talk me into this forever:)

Call the HF in Lima and see what they have in stock and take a look at it. Then start calling some of the 100s of places in Ohio that sell used metal working tools and take a look at what they have to offer. Do not expect good prices over the phone and in my opinion most of the used places are about as trustworthy as a meth-addicted used car salesman when it comes to individual retail sales.

There are hundreds of "little' metal lathes for sale however they are almost always way more expensive than the HF units and in my opinion not worth the extra money or time unless you find a mint used one with all the tooling.

Any used lathe you get you will be spending at least a day working over and you better hope it does not need any parts.

Any HF lathe you get you will spend a day working over, buy the protection plan.

Don't discount european machines. I'd put my voest da-210 against a monarch any day.

Buying one as a unitasker is a mistake too. Lathes are extremely handy in life. I use mine more than my mill.

I've seen them go for $300. Saw a $500 last year.

Just gotta keep looking.

ALL the time. And have a trailer, engine hoist, coffee and cash ready.

He's in alaska! There's no drill presses under a grand up there. Anything worth having will cost you your first born.

It's nothing like ohio and east, where used machines are scrap rate + removal.

For under $1000.00!!!!? You are kidding yes?

SB is usually THE hot ticket.

However. I just paid $250 for a Hardinge mill. UM/TM. Yes I have to do work to make it pretty but it is all there. Add a $400 dollar Bridgeport made vertical head made for the Hardinge and I'm set.

But I looked for a while.

And Brad. Get the Rockwell not the Clausing mill. The Rockwell uses R8 collets..

You know you are going to get carried away........

Brad, you live in Ohio bro. . . The freaking hub of industry for machine shops since before WWII.

There are so many lathes and metalworking machines in Cincinnati alone, it numbers in the hundreds of thousands!

If shipping wasn't a killer for me, I would have had a lathe from Ohio years ago. Look online, look on CL, bring a guy like Al Smith or Nik, or someone with experience with you when you go looking.

You can find real nice older machines for pennies on the dollar, that have been well cared for, and might need gibs if anything.

As far as my own research, these have good reviews on machinist boards. The older ones pop-up from time to time, but it's my understanding guys hang on to them.

Might be a little out of your current budget, but look online and see if a used one pops up, or run an add yourself on CL.

ShopMaster Eldorado BridgeMill Lathe & Mill - Edmonton Power Tools For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

Cnc Milling Machine, Metal Lathe Mill Drill, 3 In 1 Machine

Latest posts

Back