What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also finished my boring bar this evening.

Drilled and tapped the two holes for the Socket Head Cap Screws, and De-burred the slot.

attachment.php

A slight improvement from what I was using before to cut squish bands.

attachment.php

Ok, since Brad is MIA, I guess I'll have to post something. Here is my milling attachment all finished up.

Quick test, chucked up some round stock and milled a flat. Seems to work well, and hold the piece much better then before.

Thats one fine looking piece of machinery Will.:msp_thumbup: Unfortunatly, I don't have a clue what it is, or what its used for. :dizzy: Guess thats why I don't own a lathe.

It has been interesting though, trying to follow this thread. Lots of great help & advice from the experts. Kind curious how quickly Brad gets up to speed with this venture. I'm sure it won't be long, with all the help here, and from an excellent mentor or tutoring from the big guy in black.:msp_thumbsup: living close by.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thats one fine looking piece of machinery Will.:msp_thumbup: Unfortunatly, I don't have a clue what it is, or what its used for. :dizzy: Guess thats why I don't own a lathe.

It has been interesting though, trying to follow this thread. Lots of great help & advice from the experts. Kind curious how quickly Brad gets up to speed with this venture. I'm sure it won't be long, with all the help here, and from an excellent mentor or tutoring from the big guy in black.:msp_thumbsup: living close by.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks.

The lathe is now a small milling machine. Just imagine a milling machine laying on its side.

Also finished my boring bar this evening.

Drilled and tapped the two holes for the Socket Head Cap Screws, and De-burred the slot.

OK, I said SHCS but unless recessed use set screws, or maybe you call them "grub screws" on your side of the border! You'll get a lot less swarf trapped and it will aid visability and clearance.

OK, I said SHCS but unless recessed use set screws, or maybe you call them "grub screws" on your side of the border! You'll get a lot less swarf trapped and it will aid visability and clearance.

Yes my original plan was to use set screws, just didn't have any, so I'm going to pick some up still.

Thanks.

Very nice! Now you have probably done a lot of reading on lathes already but I would suggest (if you haven't done so already) you get a good book on lathes and tooling. Then use the recommend cutting tools on different the materials and see how they cut. Different angles on cutters will give you different results in different materials and will effect cutting speed and cut finish. But this is all part of the learning process.

Get that lathe running already! :msp_thumbup:

Hey brad, when you get to know your way around that one, you may want to step up to one of these. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

This one belongs to my buddy that does our repairs and things. Can't remember the name on it now but it's about 14ft long. Freakin monster of a lathe. I'm sure some of the machinist here have seen bigger but it's the biggest I've ever seen. I also seen a Bald Eagle today, that was pretty cool.

Awesome Brad, that was very kind of Dan to do that.

Now pay close attention to how he grinds the HSS bits, take a good pic for reference for when you need to regrind.

Shim the dam tool already!!!!! That's why a quick change is nice, no shimming needed.

Also if your using your compound to feed in each cut, don't put it on an angle like that, it renders your dials useless, if you move it .005" it isn't going in .005", it needs to be at 90*or parallel to your work.

Different strokes.
I always leave the compound bottomed out and dial with the carriage for the amount I want.

Yes so do I. I was just saying if he wanted to do it that way. I have a indicator on the carriage so its much more accurate then the dial. I want to do away with the compound and just mount directly to the carriage so its much more rigid. I'd have to use the compound for some things, but most of the time it would be better without.

Yes so do I. I was just saying if he wanted to do it that way. I have a indicator on the carriage so its much more accurate then the dial. I want to do away with the compound and just mount directly to the carriage so its much more rigid. I'd have to use the compound for some things, but most of the time it would be better without.

Yeah I got that from your post.

I was talking to B Rad. Just haven't found a 2x4 big enough to make him listen. LOL

Timing just made it sound that way.

Latest posts

Back