What makes a better modded MONSTER??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrug

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I currently own a modded 390XP..............which is totally awesome. However I am looking to purchase an even bigger saw, and have it modded as well. My question to you guys is................what makes a better modded monster...............a MS 880 or a 3120XP??

they will both make a gtg monster. its all in the eye of the beholder. myself ,I prefer the 3120.

The 390 is a real impressive saw when ported nicely. I've run both modded 880s and 3120s and they're still way heavy pigs even after port work. Unless you need to run a 50" bar all the time I don't think you'll be that impressed. A nice ported 395 would be a small step up.

Check this video out and you'll see a hot 3120 cut barely faster than the 90cc saws.

Hmmmmmmm so basically what you guys are tellin me is that I shouldn't spend 2000 plus dollars to buy a new saw and have it ported when I already have a ported 390XP??

Hmmmmmmm so basically what you guys are tellin me is that I shouldn't spend 2000 plus dollars to buy a new saw and have it ported when I already have a ported 390XP??

Pretty much. A 395 will be a little stronger but the 880 and 3120 isn't going to be that much more impressive either.

That depends. If you're going to be falling and bucking big timber on an everyday basis the bigger saws might...might...make you a little more productive. With a 880 or a 3120 you'll have to have the ability to handle them all day long on rough ground and in unusual attitudes without losing time because you're stopping to rest. A big saw in a total work environment is a demanding tool...better be up for it.

If all you're doing is cutting cookies or you just want the ego stroke of having a big saw a well modded 395 should be all you need but if you have the bucks an 880 or 3120 might be fun just to play with.

Your money...your choice.

Latest posts

Back