What makes square chisel so efficient?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This I cannot figure out on my own so I'll ask you guys who know. what makes square filed chisel chain so efficient?

like an algebra question. my teach told me dont try an understand it tony.. just learn how to do it. im sure theres others can tell u. id saybecause the corner takes an better bite.

tony marks said:
like an algebra question. my teach told me dont try an understand it tony.. just learn how to do it. im sure theres others can tell u. id saybecause the corner takes an better bite.
:p

I think you hit the nail there Tony!

Just from a casual glance, it appears to me that the chisel chain doesn't force/tear the chip down as abruptly as a round filed chain--the angle of the cutting edge seems to be a lot shallower.

every + has his -

Those square chisels cut fast with less power needed when filed correctly. Only they get stump fast to as the tip weares fast.

A round or half/round chisel needs more power and cuts a little less. The chain runs smoother as the chisels wont 'bite' as much as square chisels. also the lack of a real tip does improve wear.

I use square chisels only on poplars or pines in forst growth. For hardwood i use half/round chisels and also on road side poplars.

a cutter with a perfectly square chisel would take only one-pass per cut of a grain-thread, if you think of grain threads going vertically up a tree. or better said, each pass of a perfectly square cutter would take out x-number of grain threads, cutting each grain thread to full kerf width.

a cutter with a rounded chisel would take several passes (several cutters) on each grain thread, to fully cut back the grain thread and open up the kerf to full width. the first pass (first cutter to nibble on a grain thread) might cut that grain thread back to say a half-kerf's width, then depending on roundness, subsequent passes (cutters) would nibble off grain-threads sideways, until the kerf was fully opened up.

in small wood (with higher percentage of bark to cut thru), a square chisel might be 10% faster for the first hour or two, but if you're given only one chain and a file for a day, I'm not sure a half-chisel of full round might not cut more wood by the end of the day (e.g. be faster!) than a square chisel. so for limbing/firewood saws, there is definitely a place for the "softer" chains. which seems paradoxical, because a round cutters also take more passes thru the bark, so if it's the bark-scum that does the dulling, the round cutters should also get more dull in bark too -- so maybe the grain structure of bark is different than that of wood, such that the round cutter is more efficient in bark than a square cutter ...

All I run is Stihl skiptoth shisel, I have tried a few round also I havent found anything faster. The round chisel will handle dirt better. Skip is nice for chain spped, and alot less teeth to file, easy on the rakers they get hungry.

Latest posts

Back