What maple has spiraling grain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I split a pile of maple the other day, with a splitter, and the grain was pefectly twisted (around 1/4 turn every 2' or so), which makes for crappy firewood and stacking. What maple was that, so I can avoid it in the future!?

Thanks

Dean

Not sure it is any one species of maple, rather where and how it grew. Some trees exhibit a propensity for a spiralling growth pattern. See the observations at:

http://www.goldenarrowbonsai.com/spiral grain.htm

Years ago a coworker and I ran into an oak that had the same characteristic at about 45 feet off the ground. We were dropping tops out of several very large old trees before felling the trunks, in order to preserve the younger growth surrounding them. He had started his face cut on the bottom of an approx. 14" diameter limb, cutting through fibers that spiralled around and became the tension wood on top of the branch a mere foot and a half or so farther out from the undercut. Needless to say it ripped free, along with about ten feet of wood below the undercut. His lanyard stretched a good way before the branch slid out and away from the tree. He was tied i to the main leader above the cut, and had thrown a lanyard around the main trunk below his cut to steady himself. His abdominal muscles were quite sore for about a week. Could have been a lot worse...

Hmm, makes sense, thanks for the article. I know it looks nice and everything, but it certainly makes stacking a pain! Well, it fits together nicely, but if mixed together with straight grain wood, that's bad!

Cheers,

Dean

Good article. Here's an ancedote for ya:

I took down a dozen or so box elder trees a couple weeks ago. Roughly half of them were growing out of a retaining wall, destroying the masonry; the other half were growing at the base of the wall on the ground. All of the trees were in the same size range - 12-14".

The trees that were growing out of the retaining wall all had a spiral to them, but those growing on the ground did not. Interesting, eh?

I split some silver (water) maple that was spiral grain. Lighter wood than other Maple I believe.

Any tree that grows in an area with strong prevailing winds can develop spiral grain. Canopy structure plays a role in this pattern.

Dean said it twisted 1/4 turn about every 2 feet of length. Curly maple, or compression wood is a lot tighter, about 1/4" to 3/8" curls.

Curly Maple: Fiddleback Maple is also known as 'Flame Maple', 'Tiger Maple', 'Curly Maple', or 'Tigerstripe Maple'. Fiddleback Maple exhibits a dramatic change in the individual stripes or lines. As the incident angle of the light is slightly altered, the dark stripe becomes a light stripe, and the light stripe becomes dark. This visual phenomenon is known as 'chatoyancy' in the gemstone world, and its most dramatic form is seen in catseye chrysoberyl.

True Fiddleback figuring is not to be confused with "compression grain" or "stress grain" found where roots merge into the bole and also on the underside of large limbs. Some differentiate between Curly and Fiddleback figuring. For instance, curly cherry and curly birch can exhibit much swirls, waves and curls, though they are far more irregular and large, often appearing as flattened arches stacked one on top of another over the length of the board. Fiddleback Maple (Flame Maple, Tiger Maple) grain is generally considered to be more pronounced with tighter striping, sometimes measured as tight as several stripes per inch. Unlike many forms of curly grain, Fiddleback describes a series of tight, parallel (or nearly parallel) stripes running perpendicular to the length of the board.

In the United States, most use the terms Fiddleback Maple and Curly Maple synonymously. Fiddleback Maple boasts a three-dimensional series of alternately bright and dark stripes that shade into one another as the wood is slightly moved, thus producing an illusion of actual waves. Changes in brightness result from differential light reflection. Relatively high absorption by exposed fiber ends produces dark bands; reflection and diffraction from fiber walls cause bright bands. Because the fiber walls are curved sharply and act as concave or convex reflecting surfaces, any change in angle of view or incident light makes the apparent waves seem to shift. Again, the same light stripe becomes a dark stripe and vice-versa.

The illusion of undulations results from regular and repeated, parallel, wavy lines that produce an interference pattern on the exposed plane. Modern botany and science still cannot adequately account for what exactly causes the visually-stunning figuring in Fiddleback Maple (also known as Flame Maple, Curly Maple, Tiger Maple, Tigerstripe Maple). In conclusion, then, the cause(s) of the rare figuring seen in Fiddleback Maple is yet unknown. The mystery of Fiddleback Maple, in spite of electron microscopes and huge advances in the fields of wood technology, plant genetics, etc., for now remains unrevealed.

See a sample at:

http://www.rayjoneswoodboxes.com/curly_maple.htm

Back