What next!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdboy9

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well as some of you know I bought a Olathe Drum chipper, PTO driven.

Anyway I was running it some and I noticed the one bearing on the drum was hot. I checked it out and the thing has about a 1/4 in play in it. The bearing is shot and the shaft wore away from spinning in the bad bearing. It probably took close to a couple 16ths off the shaft. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it now. I am going to see what a machine shop can do with it. Maybe weld and re-machine it, but its probably going to cost a bunch of cash.

They can probably turn it down and then press a sleeve on it. Better check/replace the other bearing too. That would alleviate the major chances of problems.

Speedie sleeve

I don't know if this will help, but Chicago Rawhide,more commonly calledCr,makes repair sleeves.I am not sure of the size ranges,but if they would work,it would be a lot cheaper that building up and turning the shaft.Just a thought.

I got the drum all welded and machined, it only cost 120 bucks.

Now I need to locate bearings for it. I can't find any with the right dimensions. Someone suggested napa and I tried them but they didn't have anything. The old bearing on it was a mc gill and I don't know if they have just changed design all together since this thing was built but all the bearings I have found have been too short and not wide enough.

Toss me the dimentions, and I can look up a standard part #.

Have you tried Granger? They're pricey, but their inventory is sick.

jdboy9 said:
I got the drum all welded and machined, it only cost 120 bucks.

Now I need to locate bearings for it. I can't find any with the right dimensions. Someone suggested napa and I tried them but they didn't have anything. The old bearing on it was a mc gill and I don't know if they have just changed design all together since this thing was built but all the bearings I have found have been too short and not wide enough.

Yes What is the McGill #?

jdboy9,
Look in the yellow pages under bearings. You should be able to find a bearing distributer there. You will pay half to two thirds from them. Here in KC i buy from IBT bearing distributors. I think they are nation wide. Good luck, you will find what you need. It sometimes takes alot of time and patience working on stuff.

David

David Hardman said:
It sometimes takes alot of time and patience working on stuff.

David

But the understanding you develop of the equipmentand and the sense of satisfaction when you finally get it going are priceless.

The part number on the bearing was 3797901. c-14 was stamped on the cast iron around the bearing. Here are some dimensions as well.

height to middle of shaft: 3"
overall length: 10.75"
holes center to center: 8"
overall height: 6"
overall width: 2.625"
bolt holes: 1"

Latest posts

Back