What Now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have cut and split roughly 4 cords for next winter (08-09) and now I have a question. Most of the wood was cut last Aug-Oct and now that it's stacked should I leave it uncovered through the spring and summer?
It's 60% red oak, 30% Apple 10% other

Yep I would. The oak's going to take the longest too season. If you leave it stacked with plenty of air flow room you'll be fine for next winter. Remember that it's wind that truely dries and seasons your firewood. So let it "breath":cheers:

Everything I have read here, says leave it uncovered..... Sounds like you got a good start for next season...

You could lay some pieces of old metal roofing or something similar on top of your pile (if you have it stacked). This will keep rain from going down through your pile and still let air pass through.

Yep I would. The oak's going to take the longest too season. If you leave it stacked with plenty of air flow room you'll be fine for next winter. Remember that it's wind that truely dries and seasons your firewood. So let it "breath":cheers:

+1 Sometimes a tarp traps in more moisture than it keeps out.

Latest posts

Back