What PPE do you use and why ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky helmet/shield/muffs when felling and ramming around in the tops.
Comes in handy when cutting in briars as well as whips.

Full wrap Chaps from Husky.

Why?

A while back I chewed a hole in my jeans at Nut level. Just grazed the saw a bit stepping back.
It got me to thinking about a shirt tail relative that did something really stupid and chewed up his leg bad, and then fell on the Bar.

The Chaps also keep the legs from getting chewed up by thorns and briars.

I am not the most consistent user, but try to be.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You never know who's going to be affected more either. I used to work in a factory environment and before hearing protection became compulsory, nobody wore anything. Roughly 1 in 5 employees suffered from some form of hearing loss. I was lucky.

You never know who's going to be affected more either. I used to work in a factory environment and before hearing protection became compulsory, nobody wore anything. Roughly 1 in 5 employees suffered from some form of hearing loss. I was lucky.

Do your ears ring?

my left one drives me crazy but i dont know what to do.

I dont think its all noise related damage, impact of the left side of my dome+ hickory tree... told that story enough...

Is there somthing to stop the ringing?

hey gary you do wear ear protection don't you ? that muffler modded 361 is LOUD!!!!

I don't own a muffler modded 361 anymore... just sat around unused so I sold it prolly 2 years ago. I don't have much use for saws under 70cc's.

That being said... The old Homelites and McCullochs I have from the 50's and 60's in stock form will put any "muffler modded" new saw to shame as far as LOUD goes... :)

Gary

Do your ears ring?

my left one drives me crazy but i dont know what to do.

I dont think its all noise related damage, impact of the left side of my dome+ hickory tree... told that story enough...

Is there somthing to stop the ringing?

No my ears don't ring but the affected guys had hearing damage known as Industrial Deafness. Hearing was OK when things are quiet but couldn't understand individual voices with any other background noise.
A mate of mine that was in Afghanistan with the Australian SAS has suffered permanent hearing damage from riding in Blackhawk helicopters, Close Quarters Combat training, and .50BMG Machine Guns going off next to his head when he was driving one of the SAS Land Rovers in 2002 in Afghaniland.
Some big noise there though...

My dad got ####ed up by 3'' shell muzzle blast on a cuba bound ship full of marines.

he cant hear ####...

I am beginning to worry about myself though..

In a 1 on 1 setting, I have a hard time unless the speaker is talking right at me.

i dont know if its the other people, but when i am walking with someone, they speak infront of them. i cant hear it. any of it!

I have to act like an ass sayin,"i cant hear you, you need to talk TO me, you cant talk away from me".

I want to fix this...

No my ears don't ring but the affected guys had hearing damage known as Industrial Deafness. Hearing was OK when things are quiet but couldn't understand individual voices with any other background noise.

That's me. I've always liked to have loud music on in the background but now it never sounds as good as it once did, in fact it now often irritates me. TV is a chore to watch, to follow the program it I have to have it up too loud for others to watch so I watch by myself a little but generally don't watch much. Can't go an watch a game of anything anymore, the crowd noise drives me nuts. Planes - highly irritating - noise canceling muffs help a lot. Shopping centres - nooooooope - go when it's quiet or stay away.

In my line of work, we have to go to a few days of training (kind of a rebrainwashing) every year. When we can't hear a speaker, we yell, LANDING VOICE. That means talk or shout like you are having a conversation on the log landing next to the yarder.

That's me. I've always liked to have loud music on in the background but now it never sounds as good as it once did, in fact it now often irritates me. TV is a chore to watch, to follow the program it I have to have it up too loud for others to watch so I watch by myself a little but generally don't watch much. Can't go an watch a game of anything anymore, the crowd noise drives me nuts. Planes - highly irritating - noise canceling muffs help a lot. Shopping centres - nooooooope - go when it's quiet or stay away.

Yup...exactly right. There's music that I've listened to for years that I can't hear the high notes of anymore. Sounds weird.

For my first several years in the woods noise attenuation was considered sissy. I'm lucky to have as much of my hearing left as I do. Most loggers my age are deaf as posts.

Latest posts

Back