What rotary tool bits to use on Nikasil cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centannim055

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm aware Tunsten can ship the Nikasil and ruin your day. What do people use? Is it mostly higher grit sanding bands and diamond bits?

I'm working on a Hyway Husq 372xp B.B and would like to raise the exhaust slightly for a little bit more blowdown.

I've chipped the plating on cheap AM cylinders using a burr so I bought some diamond and stone bits and use them now, it's slower but safer.
A diamond or stone bit will work for the exhaust port. One of the dremel bits for sharpening a chain is surprisingly good at it.
I only use a burr bit on the lower transfers after outlining where I want to grind in the plating with a diamond bit so I dont chip the plating.
I use a sanding drum to finish the exhaust port as it makes it nice and smooth, I dont want the intake or transfers smooth so they're left as rough as a burr leaves them.

I've chipped the plating on cheap AM cylinders using a burr so I bought some diamond and stone bits and use them now, it's slower but safer.
A diamond or stone bit will work for the exhaust port. One of the dremel bits for sharpening a chain is surprisingly good at it.
I only use a burr bit on the lower transfers after outlining where I want to grind in the plating with a diamond bit so I dont chip the plating.
I use a sanding drum to finish the exhaust port as it makes it nice and smooth, I dont want the intake or transfers smooth so they're left as rough as a burr leaves them.

Perfect, thank you. I looked on Google to get a simple straight forward answer and couldn't. Now I do have 80gr, 120gr and 180gr sanding bands, but I don't know if even sanding bands can be too much on Nikasil?

Carbide burrs work but you wanna use the double cut variety. Single cut are too aggressive and have a tendency to chip plating. Only downside to double cut is they clog up easily. You’ll wanna use some kind of lubricant to help prevent clogging. Diamond burrs are good for finish work and chamfering ports.

Some of the newer high way cylinders are a ***** to grind, even a nice smooth cutting double cut burr will chip the plating.
The sanding bands are safe on nikasil but are painfully slow, the dremel grinding stone bits or diamond bits are much faster and still safe.
You can use the sanding bands but be patient.

Back