What saw and mill would work best for my project?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shane Sciafe

Shane Sciafe

I am new to milling, felling trees, and only have a laymen understanding of chainsaws in-general. I jumped right in and got a stihl o66 (used off ebay) and an Alaskan III (That I have not used yet). I have two month before I start my project and want to know if I have the right equipment for the job. I'm not against trading in what I have for the right equipment (If what I have is wrong).

The project:
We have a 20 acre hill side in Southern Missouri we are planning to build a large cabin on over a few years. We live in NJ and will be spending only a few weeks a year there. We want to use the wood that is there for most, if not all, construction. Framing will be Timber (Post). Most of the wood on the Property is young oak (10 yr), and some other large trees mixed in like yellow poplar, and some white pine. I will also be using the unit on projects at home in NJ. Mostly pine, cedar, and poplar.

I plan to use the same saw to cut down the trees, mill the posts (timber frame) and mill 1x, 2X, and anything else needed. I also want to use the saw for all my fire wood.

Most of the trees I will be working with are under 24" diameter as I gain a better feel I would like to move up to larger (Nice 3' oak on the ground around the corner that has been there for a few years).

It was my understanding I could use the 066 for all this but would need to change bar and chain depending on what I'm doing.

Do I have the right saw and mill? What would you recommend I get before starting; Bars, chains, etc.

Thanks
Shane

betterbuilt

betterbuilt

I build stuff from milled slabs
Welcome to Arboristsite.

First I'd recommend reading the Csm Sticky http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/93458.htm

Next what's the condition of your 066. I'd recommend going through it and making sure it's in tip top shape. Milling can be pretty hard on a CSM.

And last but not least, you have to post pictures. That's the rules.:hmm3grin2orange:

mtngun

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
We have a 20 acre hill side in Southern Missouri we are planning to build a large cabin on over a few years. We live in NJ and will be spending only a few weeks a year there.
You would spend all summer milling the materials for a house with a chainsaw mill. In fact, I doubt you would finish milling the wood in only one summer.

Framing will be Timber (Post).
Then you'll want a mini-mill and 20" - 24" bar for making posts.

Question: obviously, this project will drag out for years. Where will you store your milled lumber until there is a roof up ?

I use a 36" bar on an Alaskan for slabbing and a 20" or 24" bar on a mini-mill for the final 3 cuts on a beam.

820wards

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
You would spend all summer milling the materials for a house with a chainsaw mill. In fact, I doubt you would finish milling the wood in only one summer.

Then you'll want a mini-mill and 20" - 24" bar for making posts.

Question: obviously, this project will drag out for years. Where will you store your milled lumber until there is a roof up ?

I use a 36" bar on an Alaskan for slabbing and a 20" or 24" bar on a mini-mill for the final 3 cuts on a beam.

Mtngun is right for bar sizes for the wood you will be milling. I would suggest that you look at getting another saw big enough to do additional cutting when you mill. There will be a time when you will need to cut a log or something when that primary saw with milling chain is connected to your mill. The mini-mill is a great tool for making those beams you will be needing to build your cabin in the country. Gandberg sells a unit that is easy to use and setup and there are others out there as well. If your handy, you can build your own. Plenty of examples here in the milling group.

jerry-

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Do a search on this forum for "Log Home" posted by Deeker, and maybe "mtngun" can give you the link for his barn, it is incredible, I'd live in it. I use 2 saws, I have one 100cc saw on the Alaskan, and an 82cc saw on the mini-mill with a short (20") bar. You can do fine with one saw cutting posts and beams, but 2 make it so much easier. Make your first cut with the Alaskan, set it aside, grab the mini, and square up the beam, no switching milling rigs. If you want to do board and batten or ship lap boards you're gonna need a band mill.

Take some time and scroll through the forum, some of the best pics are not under the heading of the post. Someone asks a question, and one thing leads to another, and everyone starts posting pics of their projects. Good luck, Joe

cowboyvet

cowboyvet

ArboristSite Operative
The project:
We have a 20 acre hill side in Southern Missouri we are planning to build a large cabin on over a few years. We live in NJ and will be spending only a few weeks a year there.

Do I understand this right. If your going to only spend a few weeks a year with a chainsaw mill to build a "large" log cabin, you might need another lifetime to get it done. If that is the case, keep the saw for felling timber and get a bandsaw mill to speed up the process. Even then it will take a while with so little time invested each year.
Disregard if I understood you wrong.
Good luck with your project. There is something to be said for the feeling you get from something you built yourself from the land.

TraditionalTool

TraditionalTool

Addicted to ArboristSite
Do I understand this right. If your going to only spend a few weeks a year with a chainsaw mill to build a "large" log cabin, you might need another lifetime to get it done. If that is the case, keep the saw for felling timber and get a bandsaw mill to speed up the process. Even then it will take a while with so little time invested each year.
Disregard if I understood you wrong.
Good luck with your project. There is something to be said for the feeling you get from something you built yourself from the land.
I wouldn't call my project a large one, and would think of it as a small one...but I could definitely use another lifetime to get it done...it's satisfying to accomplish, no question, just takes time. My log house is only 28'x32' (900 sq.ft. on the main floor, 2400 sq.ft. total on 3 floors including walkout basement)
log-house.jpg

scribed-back.jpg

Latest posts