What saw would you grab right now.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl 361 , maybe even go buy a husky 562. Especially if it is a fun tree.
20" tree ...my 361 would be my first grab, followed by my early production 372XP.
If it was larger, I'd grab my 046 just for fun.
What really gets me going is the oppertunity to drop a really one so I can bust out the 1130G with a 4' bar.

Since this is all make believe. I'd have Margot Robbie to do the naked funky monkey with me, buy a winning lottery ticket, and tell my neighbor he still has my Milwaukee Sawzall and I want it back. Til then deal with the tree on your own.
Found some of that wacky-tobakey...growing in the back yard ...did ya ..... :oops:

Gonna jump back in here for a minute and say how great you all have made this thread. I had no idea there would be this much interest, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the input, the conversation and the occasional comedy. I think all of us probably click on AS to escape the stupid that surrounds us to a point. I know I do.
I greatly appreciate the wisdom of the fellas on here and have a lot of new saws now on my list of “ want to run” saws.
One thing I found interesting is the different takes on cutting wood. Some would take a real big saw and really go at it. Others may have a more medium size saw they just enjoy running so they’d take it.
What I don’t see is anyone trashing anyone else’s choices. That’s part of what keeps me coming back for more. Y’all are good people!!

good night

I love bringing ones back that were landfill bound and putting them back to work. Just something about that!!
Every saw I own at this point was a non-runner when I bought or inherited it. My dad gave me his Sachs-Dolmar 133 he bought new when I was not quite in my teens, yet, and that is what started it all. He had not used it in a decade, and it wouldn't start. I needed it for a big job, and he said, "It is too hard for me to start anymore, so if you can get it to run it's yours". That is my favorite saw for obvious reasons (and I will never sell it), but I started fixing them up and selling while taking in junk trades or buying "junk". I have a couple donors laying around that don't pay to fix, but most of them leave my ownership in like-new condition - except (occasionally) cosmetically. I will sell an ugly saw for cheap to someone that needs it and can't afford it.

Every saw I own at this point was a non-runner when I bought or inherited it. My dad gave me his Sachs-Dolmar 133 he bought new when I was not quite in my teens, yet, and that is what started it all. He had not used it in a decade, and it wouldn't start. I needed it for a big job, and he said, "It is too hard for me to start anymore, so if you can get it to run it's yours". That is my favorite saw for obvious reasons (and I will never sell it), but I started fixing them up and selling while taking in junk trades or buying "junk". I have a couple donors laying around that don't pay to fix, but most of them leave my ownership in like-new condition - except (occasionally) cosmetically. I will sell an ugly saw for cheap to someone that needs it and can't afford it.
I understand that! Have a few that will never leave my farm but have several out on
“ permanent loan” to friends etc.
I actually have a list of a few guys who will take some saws that I plan to keep but need to be ran and they will put some hours on them for me. I have too many to keep up with!

I understand that! Have a few that will never leave my farm but have several out on
“ permanent loan” to friends etc.
I actually have a list of a few guys who will take some saws that I plan to keep but need to be ran and they will put some hours on them for me. I have too many to keep up with!
I used to keep a logbook of who I loaned what, and most stuff came back damaged or not at all until I went and got it. Then I couldn't remember where I put the logbook, so I just started telling people I have been buying tools for 40+ years and I don't lend out tools, briefly explaining that it's not personal.

I had one neighbor I loaned a belt sander to, and after he completely used up the sanding belt came and asked me if I had anymore, I said no, but Lowe's does.

Every time I see an 044 I can’t help but chuckle thinking of my brother and I. He has not contracted cad just yet. He’s a fella that has an 044 for bigger stuff and a little 170 he inherited for little stuff and is content. He’s young tho..... there’s still hope for him!
Now I love his 044 but don’t you dare tell him! You would spoil all the fun have razzing each other. You see right after he bought it he had a 30” maple come down in his back yard.
He was kind enough to let me in on the fun so I grabbed my trusty pro Mac 850 and 700 and headed to his house. We got down to the trunk and got the big boys out. He was still popping off about my dinosaurs but piped down a bit the more we cut.
When we finished, he says “ it hurt to pay $500 for that saw but it was worth it today”
I rested my hand on old faithful who just made the 044 work real hard and said
” $500?!?!?! I’ve only got $30 in the dinosaur!!”
Due to religious conviction I can’t tell you his response!!

Back