What saw would you grab right now.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ms250. I have a 462, and want to get a 261 (bought one for my pop this Xmas to replace his tired 390) but that darn 250 just refuses to accept what it is. I keep the chain sharp and it just cuts. Hardwood, soft wood, dirty, clean it doesn't care. I cut up some 16" ash and it zipped right through, some red oak slows it a bit but it still just cuts without much effort.

Also the most likely trees that would drop around these parts are pine, poplar and dead ash, so nothing super tough. Though if I did see a locust that big I would probably go back and grab the 462...

I'll add this only because it's kind of an odd experiment that I tried and came out great. I recently purchased a non-running Echo cs-5500, got it running well. It's an odd saw to choose a bar and chain for - I have 50cc saws w/ 20" .325. I have 60, 67, and 78 cc saws w/ 24" 3/8 chain. So I tried a 24" hard nose bar w/ .325 chain. This created a really nice all around saw. The 5500 is about the weight of the cs-590, but slightly smaller. The balance is nice, the .325 chain is nicer for limbing (not so grabby as 3/8), 24" is nice for not bending over so far. I just removed a 24" silver maple and used this saw the most. A really nice saw for small to medium trees.

Must have been huge for a bradford pear.
In my neighborhood there is a Bradford Pear in just about every yard. Some are huge. Had two in my yard that split right down the middle during the same storm. I was out there in the rain and lightning cutting them out of the road. I hate those **** trees. Limbs in the road every year.

In my neighborhood there is a Bradford Pear in just about every yard. Some are huge. Had two in my yard that split right down the middle during the same storm. I was out there in the rain and lightning cutting them out of the road. I hate those **** trees. Limbs in the road every year.
Most folks are unaware that bradfords need regular thinning. When they are too dense for winds to pass through damage happens.

Ten pages into this thread, and Cedarkerf got it right!
"Since when someone says they have a 20" tree and I show up and it's any where from 12-32" in diameter I'd bring the saw that finally got me to stop missing my 10mm 044 Light enough for small stuff big enough for when they understate the tree size."

The size of the tree that your friend or neighbor calls you about is almost NEVER accurate...!
A few years ago I got a call that there was a 2 ft. tree blocking a popular trail. I was in the area, and had my old 056 Mag, with a 36" bar, in the truck, so I hiked in to cut it out. The tree was a big fir, just under 4 ft. diameter, and 4 feet above the trail - on very steep ground!
I was able to make 2 cuts and send a 6' section into the river 50 feet below!
Last weekend a friend and I went out to cut "9 trees across a trail, average diameter 15 inches"....... the biggest one was only 9"!
Take enough saw to handle most anything possible in the area!

Just for fun, if your neighbor called right now and had a 20” tree he needed cut up,
What saw would You grab first that is rock solid and ready for the job at hand!?!
I'd probably grab my 20" Pro MAC 10-10, or my CS-4910 if it wasn't under the weather. The Pro Mac really rips! And if you're wondering, yes, that is a three-in-one hemlock! Probably 70ft tall and over 100 years old.
20220111_115759.jpg
There they both are, best bros.

Latest posts

Back