What saws do my fellow wood cutters have??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Longbow,if you get that 261,you might find the 441 getting more rest time.If its anything like my 026,the weight and power it has will have you using it on a lot of your small to medium work.That's just my opinion.Yours may differ and that's fine,too.
It all boils down to what works best for the guy that is using it.

They are both great saws, but if you like the handling of the stihl you will want a 261, if you like a husky grab the 550.
The only advantage I see is for those who don't want to deal with the outboard clutch then grab the 261, and since both saws need dealer help for servicing(if you have a problem) get the one with the best local dealer support. Others may have some other advice, in my opinion those are the main things, grab whatever brand you prefer for handling and have fun as both are great saws.

If you like the stihls which it appears you do you will like it.
I prefer the husky, but I cut teeth on the 346.
Is there something you dislike about the 550.
The 550 is a great saw. I’ve had it a couple years, just thought about trying something different. Oh, I am more of a Stihl type too.

Longbow,if you get that 261,you might find the 441 getting more rest time.If its anything like my 026,the weight and power it has will have you using it on a lot of your small to medium work.That's just my opinion.Yours may differ and that's fine,too.
It all boils down to what works best for the guy that is using it.

Idk, the 441 is a fun saw to run.

Idk, the 441 is a fun saw to run.
One of the smoothest saws out there, and the 441cm is one of my favorite sounding stock saws :sweet:.
I am more of a Stihl type too.
:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::lol:
If you want to get rid of the 550 hit me up, I've liked all the ones I've had, and like the one I have now, but like to have twins of my work saws.
The 261cm is just as powerful to me as the 550, just handles like a stihl. Once they released the specs on the latest 261cm and I heard what everyone was saying about them, I was thinking that I'd be getting rid of all my little huskys and switching them over to a couple 261's. I got one and ran it and was like really, it left and the huskys stayed, just another modern 50cc saw is all it is. I still run a couple 241's and just grabbed another as they work great from many aspects for me as work saws.
I still prefer my little 346's in the woods:chainsaw:.
Here's the one I'll be running this summer for firewooding.

I got started cutting with my uncle on our old farm. Sadly, he passed and the farm was sold. I love cutting so I'm always looking for somebody to help. Friends think I'm crazy too but I just love being in the woods and running saws. Keeps me feeling a little younger too.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hey Brian, we UNDERSTAND around here, you are among Friends ;):cheers:

My Wife, even Enjoys running saws, but it really HAS to be up in the woods, she can squat next to the pick up with the best of them :)

She really likes running the splitter, I had been using my little Husky 23 Compact for limbing, she came over and said, "I can do that" and wanted her OWN saw after that. She got a Husky 445 for Christmas, and was Actually Thrilled when she opened it, she has the bug to go try it out

I have gotten a few Funny Looks when she tells people what she got for Christmas, then SHE gets some Funny Looks:confused: when she tells them that She REALLY DID WANT a Chainsaw for Christmas:)

I think that I will keep her around for awhile:yes:, oh she is not only my Best Friend is is also my Best Fishin' Buddy too:yes:

Doug

Hey Brian, we UNDERSTAND around here, you are among Friends ;):cheers:

My Wife, even Enjoys running saws, but it really HAS to be up in the woods, she can squat next to the pick up with the best of them :)

She really likes running the splitter, I had been using my little Husky 23 Compact for limbing, she came over and said, "I can do that" and wanted her OWN saw after that. She got a Husky 445 for Christmas, and was Actually Thrilled when she opened it, she has the bug to go try it out

I have gotten a few Funny Looks when she tells people what she got for Christmas, then SHE gets some Funny Looks:confused: when she tells them that She REALLY DID WANT a Chainsaw for Christmas:)

I think that I will keep her around for awhile:yes:, oh she is not only my Best Friend is is also my Best Fishin' Buddy too:yes:

Doug
Good post Doug. The simple things in life bring the most joy. That's the problem with society today. People have a lot of "stuff" but very few are happy and content. Good woman and chainsaws is hard to beat. Surround yourself with good people and even work is enjoyable. I spent many hours cutting with my son. I hope he treasures those moments like I do. He just turned 24. He thinks my saw addiction is a little goofy but that'll be a little quirk in my legacy that hopefully will always make him smile.

Talk about brand loyalty and being sensitive.... Some guys do get bent out of shape if you don't like their saws like your talking about their woman or mother. Makes no sense to me. I know a lot of guys don't like my big old gear drive McCulloch 77 because it's old and heavy. I'll put it up against any saw for pure cutting torque and power. It's running a 36" with 9/16" chain and can handle a lot more. I'm running 5/8" on my 73 and it cuts like a knife in butter. I'm no logger but I do a fair amount of cutting so speed is unimportant to me. I just prefer good old American made muscle . And an ALL metal saw. I can handle the weight no problem and slow and easy is right up my alley. I'll take that torque monster any day over speed. I rebuild all of my saws so they are more reliable than a new plastic saw. Leak free and start on one pull and idle beautiful. Anyway that's my saw preference. Give me an old Mac gear drive 120cc and I'm good to go...

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
3df037d1d749a3e22980004840f04e77.jpg
a212e5dc874633bddc96c5cec3ce087d.jpg
1849c985a68d2e24f6674f5cf431fc29.jpg

Talk about brand loyalty and being sensitive.... Some guys do get bent out of shape if you don't like their saws like your talking about their woman or mother. Makes no sense to me. I know a lot of guys don't like my big old gear drive McCulloch 77 because it's old and heavy. I'll put it up against any saw for pure cutting torque and power. It's running a 36" with 9/16" chain and can handle a lot more. I'm running 5/8" on my 73 and it cuts like a knife in butter. I'm no logger but I do a fair amount of cutting so speed is unimportant to me. I just prefer good old American made muscle . And an ALL metal saw. I can handle the weight no problem and slow and easy is right up my alley. I'll take that torque monster any day over speed. I rebuild all of my saws so they are more reliable than a new plastic saw. Leak free and start on one pull and idle beautiful. Anyway that's my saw preference. Give me an old Mac gear drive 120cc and I'm good to go...

3df037d1d749a3e22980004840f04e77.jpg
a212e5dc874633bddc96c5cec3ce087d.jpg
1849c985a68d2e24f6674f5cf431fc29.jpg
Great picture, looks like it could be right in my neck of the woods :).
Yeah the sensitive crowd makes me laugh, same crowd that when someone gets on the site and needs advice to cut up a few fallen 14" trees next thing you know they are advising a 70cc saw, a plastic farm ranch saw like a husky 450, stihl 250,little echo, dolmar/makita would do the job just fine, heck even a poulan wild thing would do it :surprised3:.
Personally I like good quality equipment that handles well so the pro saws are my favorites. I can tell you take a lot of pride in ownership which is really cool, and keeping those older American saws running is great; when I get a pole building I will probably get a bunch of those to tinker with, for now I just try as many of the good runners as I can get my hands on, saws are fun and keep me out of trouble as well as save me lots of money on propane :yes:.
Here's an ash I did last spring, they are all about dead here, and the few that are alive are barely alive and heading out. There are some that the whole canopy is dead but now have spouts all around the base and are living, sadly it will take a long time to get them back as we had a lot of them here.
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 10.11.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 10.12.27 AM.png

Great picture, looks like it could be right in my neck of the woods :).
Yeah the sensitive crowd makes me laugh, same crowd that when someone gets on the site and needs advice to cut up a few fallen 14" trees next thing you know they are advising a 70cc saw, a plastic farm ranch saw like a husky 450, stihl 250,little echo, dolmar/makita would do the job just fine, heck even a poulan wild thing would do it :surprised3:.
Personally I like good quality equipment that handles well so the pro saws are my favorites. I can tell you take a lot of pride in ownership which is really cool, and keeping those older American saws running is great; when I get a pole building I will probably get a bunch of those to tinker with, for now I just try as many of the good runners as I can get my hands on, saws are fun and keep me out of trouble as well as save me lots of money on propane :yes:.
Here's an ash I did last spring, they are all about dead here, and the few that are alive are barely alive and heading out. There are some that the whole canopy is dead but now have spouts all around the base and are living, sadly it will take a long time to get them back as we had a lot of them here.
View attachment 627230 View attachment 627231
It's all good. I don't get upset over much. You run what you like and that's all that matters. I do take a lot of pride in maintaining , running and preserving my saws. I do have direct drives as well I'll run just depending on what I'm cutting. I just really enjoy running the big ole gear drives. Gives me a sense of what the guys had to use years ago . Lugging that big bastard around all day is a whole different scenario than what im doing but I get the feeling of what they were using.

As for ash.... Lots and lots of dead ash here thanks to those damn beetles. I miss my ash trees, shade trees but on a good note I've got plenty of fire wood. Ash is pretty good wood to burn. I've cut up all the locust and oak that was here but the ash is everywhere. All dead now. I hear those beetles are getting in the oak now as well.

I've got a lot of hackberry here too and I see some of those have been compromised by those damn bugs. I hope they can get those bugs under control before they wipe out too much forest. Anyway I'm working on some more ash today . I take my time as I have had three back surgeries so I have to pace myself so I don't get messed up again. Love running my saws so I'm right at home with slow torque monsters...

Here are a few more gear and direct drive i run , collect and rebuild as well ....

12152930c7eb02e6f76c20b0824f35a4.jpg
129f88f64f821582a7c635a4c9147e55.jpg
06c543ba7029b95f0b0e1004b77d337d.jpg
bbc56b4ce9f88cb9ac9da9f6e1067167.jpg
a0e675a08e67b2d84205c6135f3b9534.jpg
ebb51006a479a4262d849633b8684b2b.jpg
076bd3aa64f931162fe6ae68f95095d4.jpg
c1604e835e4d0dbf3d365bd7bbcd5f52.jpg

JO

It's all good. I don't get upset over much. You run what you like and that's all that matters. I do take a lot of pride in maintaining , running and preserving my saws. I do have direct drives as well I'll run just depending on what I'm cutting. I just really enjoy running the big ole gear drives. Gives me a sense of what the guys had to use years ago . Lugging that big bastard around all day is a whole different scenario than what im doing but I get the feeling of what they were using.

As for ash.... Lots and lots of dead ash here thanks to those damn beetles. I miss my ash trees, shade trees but on a good note I've got plenty of fire wood. Ash is pretty good wood to burn. I've cut up all the locust and oak that was here but the ash is everywhere. All dead now. I hear those beetles are getting in the oak now as well.

I've got a lot of hackberry here too and I see some of those have been compromised by those damn bugs. I hope they can get those bugs under control before they wipe out too much forest. Anyway I'm working on some more ash today . I take my time as I have had three back surgeries so I have to pace myself so I don't get messed up again. Love running my saws so I'm right at home with slow torque monsters...

Here are a few more gear and direct drive i run , collect and rebuild as well ....

JO
Drooling! If you were closer, I'd come help you cut just to see those saws work.

View attachment 626028 I cut wood for heat, probably 6-10 "rick" per year for us and the in laws ( around 3 cords) I use a husky 350 with a muffler mod and a jonsered 2159c with a non cat muffler and mod. Included in this pic is a jonsered 670 super which I'm working on for a bigger saw to use and a husky 266se I'm selling.

I don't know what the differences are between a 266SE and a 266XP, but after having a 266XP for 26 or 27 years now, the 266 would be the keeper for ME.

The 266XP and a Husky 23 Compact were my 2 saw plan for almost 25 years and have and still serve me well.

I have added to the collection, but both still get plenty of use.

Doug

JO
Great looking saws.
I'm very non partial as far as running them, but I will grab the huskys when I want to enjoy myself, but whatever it takes to accomplish the task at hand and has a sharp chain and a full tank fuel is what I like to run :).
I try to run the smallest saw I possibly can to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time, I don't want to have to get any back surgeries :surprised3:. I hope yours stays healthy now :yes:.

Latest posts

Back