What saws do my fellow wood cutters have??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk about brand loyalty and being sensitive.... Some guys do get bent out of shape if you don't like their saws like your talking about their woman or mother. Makes no sense to me. I know a lot of guys don't like my big old gear drive McCulloch 77 because it's old and heavy. I'll put it up against any saw for pure cutting torque and power. It's running a 36" with 9/16" chain and can handle a lot more. I'm running 5/8" on my 73 and it cuts like a knife in butter. I'm no logger but I do a fair amount of cutting so speed is unimportant to me. I just prefer good old American made muscle . And an ALL metal saw. I can handle the weight no problem and slow and easy is right up my alley. I'll take that torque monster any day over speed. I rebuild all of my saws so they are more reliable than a new plastic saw. Leak free and start on one pull and idle beautiful. Anyway that's my saw preference. Give me an old Mac gear drive 120cc and I'm good to go...

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
3df037d1d749a3e22980004840f04e77.jpg
a212e5dc874633bddc96c5cec3ce087d.jpg
1849c985a68d2e24f6674f5cf431fc29.jpg

For me, I Like my Huskies, but admit that Stihl makes a Great Saw too, I have heard rumors in dark alleys that there are other brands of chainsaws, but surely that's just Heresy and Blasphemy;):)

As a kid growing up my Dad had a McCulloch Super Pro 60, I always Loved that saw, and wish that it had gotten passed on to me, sadly it didn't :(

When I went looking for my first saw, I naturally went shopping for Yellow and Black, but I was very disappointed in what had become of McCulloch by 91 or 92 :surprised3:

I knew people with Stihls and People with Huskies both liked their saws, I tried and compared both, and felt that both were quality tools, and that at the time, I simply got more saw for my money going all Orange.

Huskies have been Great saws for me, I haven't regretted my choice at all, as with other brands, there is a Husky for any need I have, so it just makes sense to ME, to stick with one brand that has worked well for me.

I sure don't fault anyone who finds another brand suits their needs better.

Unfortunately, Husky's dealer support isn't what it was when I bought my original saws.

I "Stihl" feel Husqvarna and Stihl both make Excellent, Quality tools, and if I had to replace my entire collection for some reason, I would consider Stihl, because of the dealer support is so much better, but I have been Very Happy with my Huskies and so for now, I am sticking with them

I understand liking the Old Mac's but I don't have the time, mechanical ability or even the desire to work on them, I Enjoy wood cutting, and heat primarily with wood, my saws are tools, and I like being able to just grab the saw best suited to the job and get to work.

I understand many people Enjoy tinkering with old cars, saws what have you, but that is just not ME. But I won't belittle someone who does enjoy that.

Doug

I don't know what the differences are between a 266SE and a 266XP, but after having a 266XP for 26 or 27 years now, the 266 would be the keeper for ME.

The 266XP and a Husky 23 Compact were my 2 saw plan for almost 25 years and have and still serve me well.

I have added to the collection, but both still get plenty of use.

Doug
I think the XP is newer. I just sold the 266se and im keeping the 670 super, i guess cause its a little newer...but there sure is something about those old orange square shouldered huskys that get my blood moving. I was gonna keep both but its funding another habit i have...

I think the XP is newer. I just sold the 266se and im keeping the 670 super, i guess cause its a little newer...but there sure is something about those old orange square shouldered huskys that get my blood moving. I was gonna keep both but its funding another habit i have...

Yeah, I know the XP is a "Newer " model, newer being a relative term;), the XP being built IIRC1980-90, I'm pretty sure my 266XP is one of the last produced, I bought the house I had then, in October of 90, so I'm pretty sure it was in 91, that I bought the 266XP. I don't recall for sure if I bought the 23 Compact at the same time or not long afterwards, but that combo worked Great for me.

I Love that 266XP, and don't ever plan on parting with it, just don't ask me to choose between it and the Wife :), yeah, I would choose the Wife, but Woe be the man that ever grabs Either Inappropriately :surprised3:, That would be GUARANTEED to Not End Well:chainsaw:
Just Curious, what is the "Other Habit " that you sold the 266SE to support?

Doug

Yeah, I know the XP is a "Newer " model, newer being a relative term;), the XP being built IIRC1980-90, I'm pretty sure my 266XP is one of the last produced, I bought the house I had then, in October of 90, so I'm pretty sure it was in 91, that I bought the 266XP. I don't recall for sure if I bought the 23 Compact at the same time or not long afterwards, but that combo worked Great for me.

I Love that 266XP, and don't ever plan on parting with it, just don't ask me to choose between it and the Wife :), yeah, I would choose the Wife, but Woe be the man that ever grabs Either Inappropriately :surprised3:, That would be GUARANTEED to Not End Well:chainsaw:

Doug
The other habit...
fef6e0cc3ac5a7f5ae9a523722614f13.jpg

Doug
Another pic to keep it forum worthy
a2207ebb58a3f68b60cf35b95ecb62df.jpg

Another pic to keep it forum worthy
a2207ebb58a3f68b60cf35b95ecb62df.jpg
Nice knife, dads got a few of the good older marbles as well as some others.
I like that early 350 to0, I don't see to many of those in good condition.
My buddy has a newer one he used a couple times in a box in the garage, his wife won't let him run it.
He owns a sharpening business and sharpens about anything with an edge(picture huge knives for a book bindery :surprised3:.) including saw chains both steel and carbide, but he can't play with saws lol.

Thanks, i love my old 350 i had just got done sharpening the chain when i took the pic. My buddy brought over his ms310? I think it was, i know for sure it was 50cc, and wow ill take that ole 350 anyday!
They are good saws, for a plastic case saw. I have a 2145(the jred version of the 345 husky) with a ported AM 346 cylinder, it runs right with a stock 550 and is a good bit lighter.
The ms310 is a great saw is 59cc, and is built on the same chassis as the ms290/ms390.
The 50cc stihl in a plastic case in the ms model is a ms250 and the newest is the ms251.
I haven't had much run time on those little stihls, but the guys I know who have them like them.
A sharp chain and a good tune is key to getting the most out of one of those smaller farm ranch/plastic cased saws.

Latest posts

Back