What sharpening my chains and axes has done to me...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Took the mower blades to the bench grinder today.

Must resist...

Must resist...no...I...can't...stand...it....

Sat down and used a file to dress them to a nice edge. The rough one from the grinder just wouldn't do anymore...

I did resist the urge to go get my sharpening stone, but one of these days I'm going to find an antique sharpening wheel that is in working order or can be fixed up to put in my garage :)

I hand file my mower blades too, at least until I hit something and need to do a little grinding to make them right.

It only takes a few mins to get them off,

standard.jpg

sharpen and put back on!

SR

Took the mower blades to the bench grinder today.

Must resist...

Must resist...no...I...can't...stand...it....

Sat down and used a file to dress them to a nice edge. The rough one from the grinder just wouldn't do anymore...

I did resist the urge to go get my sharpening stone, but one of these days I'm going to find an antique sharpening wheel that is in working order or can be fixed up to put in my garage :)
Your grass will appreciate your efforts.;)

If only I had a lawn worthy of the effort!
After dragging the 350# deck out from under the tractor and hitting the 12 twelve grease fittings, a quick couple of passes with the angle grinder is about as far as I can get with the blades. Then it's back to the weedlot for me.
I do respect your effort though. My brother has an old treadle-powered whetstone that he uses for his mower blades. That thing could put an edge on a straight-razor.

I have a dangerous old chinese made super high rpm handheld grinder i sharpen my mower blades with. Impossible to get a correct angle, takes too much off, dangerous, sharpens unevenly ect. But it does seem to sharpen the blades slightly so whatever. Quality is job 1.

Cuttin' grass sucks... so maintaining the grass cutters suck...
I sharpen my blades with an angle grinder, once a year, at the end of the season, just before I put the them in storage...
You have more fortitude than me my friend...

I still ain't cut the grass this year yet... but there ain't no way 'round, it's finally gotta' be done this week.
I hate cuttin' grass... I really hate cuttin' grass.

I like cutting grass almost as much as cutting/splitting wood. Something about seeing the result of the effort and enjoying the solitude of the chore.

I've long said that if I ever win one of those mega-lotteries, I'll get a nice mower and find a church or charity somewhere that will let me just putter around on it. Kind of a Forrest Gump sort of thing... :D

My blades are generally more balanced than I am.:D
I like the beer hard-hat idea though. Do they make them with a suspension system, or would I get a beer shower every time I mowed?

My blades are generally more balanced than I am.:D
I like the beer hard-hat idea though. Do they make them with a suspension system, or would I get a beer shower every time I mowed?

I have a mod in mind that will eliminate the beer shower issue. It will require adding a rubber stopper with a hole through it to each line so you can use a bottle feed system as opposed to can feed but trying to source a proper MOV (mouth operated valve) seems to be a little challenging. Im thinking about using one from one of those water camel hiking backpacks. Carbonation build up might be a problem if you open 2 fresh ones so you might have to keep a steady flow going until you bleed enough off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thirst-Aid-...n-Novelty-Item-NEW-/111137039391#ht_734wt_773

It would take a month of Sundays to sharpen heavy commercial blades with a file. A typical sharpening involves cleaning of the blade, inspection of the blade and lift for cracks/damage, removing most of the metal/damage with a 4.5” angle grinder then resetting the edge angle with a magnamatic 8000. You then balance the blade and check for straightness with a mag 1000. I would like to get a burr king 760 but just cant justify the price…..yet.

The only thing that makes grass-cutting semi-tolerable for me is that there's generally beer involved.
Yep... that cup holder beside the seat makes mowing a bit more tolerable. :D

Can't complain, really. For many years I only had a walk behind mower. It would clog if the grass was even slightly damp. I hated using that thing. Saw a 46" JD for sale down the road a piece and wrote the seller a check on the spot.

A fella I worked with years ago swore by a razor edge on his mower blades. Guess it made him feel better but it's not necessary. After a minute of mowing the edge is long gone.

I don't love mowing my grass, but it sure became a LOT easier once I bought a really nice mower!

Along with mowing around my home, i mow my lanes, around my orchard tree's, around my shop and sawmill shed and gardens too, so it ends up being quite a bit to mow.

I REALLY like the way my place looks with the grass mowed, so it's worth it to me to do it...

SR

I got rid of my tractor and up graded to a zero turn my yard is 4 acres so it takes me 3 hrs to mow it and i hand file my blades once per month.

Latest posts

Back