What sharpening my chains and axes has done to me...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hand file my mower blades too, at least until I hit something and need to do a little grinding to make them right.

It only takes a few mins to get them off,

standard.jpg

sharpen and put back on!

SR
That is a nice grasshopper front mount is it a 61?

I use an angle grinder with a 60 grit flap disk to sharpen my blades (3 of them) and I do balance them afterwards.

As far as mowing my lawn (1-1/4 acres) I like mowing as well as I like cutting and splitting firewood. It sure gives me something to do in the off burning season.

I also use a flap disc on my blades. Works so much better than a bench grinder.

I like it when the mowing is done.
Once I got the zero turn it is a lot easier to get started on it now.
I have 1.3 acres and it takes about 30 min and another 35 to string trim.
Lately it has rained so much I have to go slow to not tear it up when I turn and it is so tall I have to go over the thick spots twice to level the clumps out.
I generally string trim every other week.
Chad

Took the mower blades to the bench grinder today.

Must resist...

Must resist...no...I...can't...stand...it....

Sat down and used a file to dress them to a nice edge. The rough one from the grinder just wouldn't do anymore...

I did resist the urge to go get my sharpening stone, but one of these days I'm going to find an antique sharpening wheel that is in working order or can be fixed up to put in my garage :)
If you where closer i have a spare wheel i would give you.

I like it when the mowing is done.
Once I got the zero turn it is a lot easier to get started on it now.
I have 1.3 acres and it takes about 30 min and another 35 to string trim.
Lately it has rained so much I have to go slow to not tear it up when I turn and it is so tall I have to go over the thick spots twice to level the clumps out.
I generally string trim every other week.
Chad
I use an Exmark Lazer Z for my 4 acres.
While doing the straight lines and I come to the end (where I need to do a 180* and go back) I usually never pivot on one wheel. The tire will most certainly tear the lawn this way.

I simply incorporate a 3-point turn method to do an about-face. It is much easier on the grass and once ya get the hang of it, the extra time used is minimal. YMMV.:)
--------
Mowing if fun,,,,sharpening blades sucks!

Since I discovered the benefits of RoundUp I only string trim every other year...
I really, really hate cuttin' the grass.

Go ONCE around your yard with one of these filled with RoundUp and you will be cutting a LOT LESS in the future.:D

spray.jpg

I use an Exmark Lazer Z for my 4 acres.
While doing the straight lines and I come to the end (where I need to do a 180* and go back) I usually never pivot on one wheel. The tire will most certainly tear the lawn this way.

I simply incorporate a 3-point turn method to do an about-face. It is much easier on the grass and once ya get the hang of it, the extra time used is minimal. YMMV.:)
--------
Mowing if fun,,,,sharpening blades sucks!

There's another way to do that as well. Do real big lazy turns and leap frog/overlap rows, back and forth, work your way down. Big S turns. Your rows don't have to be back to back, just close to keep sort of parallel. No sharp turns or backing up 3 point needed, you are always moving forward. At the end, a few loops around the outside, done. Just cut the corners and oddball places wide, pick them up at the end.

I do the 3 point turn when its wet and a larger circle turn when its dry.
Its really wet here we got 3-4" this week so far and it was just dry enough to mow one day last week.
This week I had to go around the low spots with standing water.
I almost got hung up this week and last.
The grass was about 6-7" high, couldn't wait much longer,what a mess.
I used to used the roundup around things but tend to kill bushes and plants I want to keep so I just use it on volunteer trees I want to get rid of now.

As far as sharpening I do like to use a file on the saws but the mower blade gets the grinder.
My tenant said they are charging $7 ea. for carry in mower blade sharpening now.
I sharpened about 10 of his he had laying around,I guess he owes me one.
Chad

Oh, another deal..on a couple of the 'botas here, bossman got me some aftermarket blades. Instead of a regular blade, they have a ring and use little flail blades, like on a hay mower. They work nice, spool up faster and are lighter than solid blades. Only caveat is, good clean primo turf only, they do not like mowing small sticks or hitting anthills, etc, they go dull fast that way.

Around here, what I mow is glorified pasture, so I like the regular solid blades better, but if you have nice lawn, they are a decent option. Dang if I can remember what they are called though, the maker. A pro turf shop might know.

Grind the blades and then peen the edge to a slightly steep angle with a flat face hammer, dress the back with a file. It will double the time between sharpenings in most cutting conditions. You are basically cold forging the very edge of the blade.

Mr. HE:cool:

The damn grass is growing so fast right now it's hard to let it go for a full week. I just jumped on my mower yesterday after work and recut the 1/2 of my lawn that I just did this past Sunday and cut the other half that was too wet to mow. That was getting thick as it was the first mowing this year on the lower half. I still managed to cut the ~2.5 Acres in about 2 hours. I love the looks of my property with a well groomed lawn, but I'm no lawn Nazi who cuts it every other day.
I think I have some upcoming maintenance on one of my hydro drives or pumps, I noticed one wheel is acting weak. Need to make some adjustments first to troubleshoot but I'm fearing it might red some internal work. It's a Toro Proline 61" hydro drive with a sulky.
BTW, if you have never used Gator blades I recommend you give them a shot, they work really well.
http://www.gatorblade.com/about.html

Spray the lawn with a PGR (plant growth regulator) in the spring, you can tank mix with broadleaf weed control and bug control if needed. It will still be green and lush but you'll mow it weekly or less. It will grow a better root structure and then come summer it will take less water.

Mr. HE:cool:

Grind the blades and then peen the edge to a slightly steep angle with a flat face hammer, dress the back with a file. It will double the time between sharpenings in most cutting conditions. You are basically cold forging the very edge of the blade.

Double the time between sharpening??
So... :D ...if'n I do it that way I'd only have to sharpen 'em every two years before winter storage, rather than every year??
I really, really, really hate cuttin' the grass.

Bailey's out in California sometimes runs a special on mower blades. I've bought blades from them before, both the regular blades for a Cub Cadet Tank and Gator Blades.

i only buy oem blades only from my local gravely/stihl dealer i have to support them.

Latest posts

Back