What size Alaskan ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt.stalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What's the maximum size Alaskan or Granberg mill that I should consider
for my 272xp, milling Hemlock or poplar ?

Thanks,
John

I would think that a 36" would work out good if you are sticking to softwood. It really doesnt matter how big of a mill you get, you can adjust them for shorter bars.

Anybody who told you 36" is right. That is the size I have, and the smallest I would consider. As mentioned, they are fully adjustable to the bar you use. I run a 36" and a 42" on mine, although I could run a 25" should I choose. I scratched in the location for the shorter bar, longer bar is fully extended.

Wow, these guys are smart. Listen to them, it will shorten up your learning curve drastically.

Mark

DITTO!

That about covers it. I got nothing to add.

except...

You need a bigger saw! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh, boy. Here it comes! :buttkick: :D

:laugh: :taped: :rolleyes: :p :fart: :welcome: :dizzy:

that about sums that up::laugh:

Your saw will get you a good start

stick around here with us....well you'll have a lot of saws

...add me to the list of everybody who chimed in with 36 inch. If you skimp a little and get less than a 36", I can guarantee down the road you will wish you hadn't. Remember you lose 4 to 6 inches on the mill. Max cut on my 36" Granberg with a 36" bar is 32 inches if I take the dogs off my 395XP first. Keep dogs on, it's only 30 inches.

All good advice, they are right about the saw not being big enough, I make these for a living and a 72cc motor is only really good enough for 24" max, the smaller saw you have will do the job, but awfully slowly and soon burn/wear out before its time.

If you require 36" then you definately need a 90cc saw or bigger, go for the biggest saw you can find second hand.

Back