What size flex hone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a flex hone as I have a few cylinders that could be saved.

There only seems to be one supplier of these in the UK.

My question is can I buy one size that I will be able to use on a range of cylinder diameters? Say 45-52 mm?

320 grit yes? what abrasive? Aluminium oxide, silicon carbide?

What kind of price did you pay for yours? They seem quite expensive, but the only price I've seem was for a large diameter, about 3" and about $140 US. Seems alot to me, do these things last forever?

Get the Silicon carbide verison. $30-45 over here... Baileys sells them..

Within reason, you can use them over a large range. And yes, they last a very long time...

I'm thinking about buying a flex hone as I have a few cylinders that could be saved.

There only seems to be one supplier of these in the UK.

My question is can I buy one size that I will be able to use on a range of cylinder diameters? Say 45-52 mm?

320 grit yes? what abrasive? Aluminium oxide, silicon carbide?

What kind of price did you pay for yours? They seem quite expensive, but the only price I've seem was for a large diameter, about 3" and about $140 US. Seems alot to me, do these things last forever?
Actually bailey's carries these now and they tell you the size range each hone is for. 320 grit is probably the best grit choice and thats what I personally use. I believe they are around $30-$40 each in US funds.

You might be able to get away with one for the range you want, but I think you'd be better off with a couple different ones, as they are rated in about 2 or 3 mm increments.
That price does seem a little high. Do you have a Bailey's catalog (a sponsor here) they have a wide range of dingle ball hones- that's what I call them.:)

Latest posts

Back