What size hookaroon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am planning on ordering one from logrite and am between the 30" or 36", what would the users here suggest?

I like a 30" But I think it would depend on your height and/or arm length. If your using it to unload a truck then find one with a long handle.

What size maul/axe handle length would you hold and it touch the ground before touching your feet? This is if you want to pick off the ground. Shorter Will raise the chance of sticking yourself in the shin/foot. Moving half split rounds on the splitter table to be resplit will take a shorter one

I am thinking I'll get the longer one and if I want I can just cut it shorter

I have 36" handles on mine. I use them for unloading the truck, dragging rounds to the splitter and picking splits up to load. I'm 6'2" and find the 36" to be just about perfect. For pulling rounds to the splitter, at times I'd like to have a longer one.
I got mine from Peavey and have the Hume head on both.

I picked up the 30" Stihl/log rite on Friday from my local Stihl shop . So far I like the length/feel picking up splits and dragging rounds.

I had a 30" that I loved, ordered another and got a 36". I like both but would prefer the 30". I also hae a 7' homemade one, it and the 36" make a good working combo forunloading. For moving rounds aroundon the ground, the 30" would be better.

Harry K

I have the Peavey Tenzaloy 5' - it's light enough that I can hold it straight out horizontally with one hand. I mostly use it for pulling rounds out of the back of the pickup, where the extra length and lightness really comes in handy. If I were using it to pull rounds up a hill, I might opt for a shorter model with the Holbrook or Hume head.

Mine is a 36" LogRite. Good general-purpose length, for picking from ground or 6' p/u bed. Long padded handle grip lets you choke up, when you need/want shorter. For longer p/u bed, go longer, for easy unloading.

Just learn how to noodle, and you won't need a hook at all.

1ece48ba5ee96a69f3871773380f14e4.jpg

A "noodle" isn't gonna help you with that!

Harry

Back