what size jonsered do I want?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know that sounds like a question you all can't answer but, I have been out of the burning wood for heat for about 10 years, got back into it this year. I had a jonsered 630 for years and loved it back when I was burning all the time. I have now decided that I want a bigger saw, I only have a small husky and it works great for it's intended use , limbing and small firewood sticks.
I guess what I'm looking for is some advice on a model/size saw to get, I have a neighbor that is a jonsered dealer and will give me a heck of a deal on whatever model I want, I just have no idea what all the models/size of motor and such is nowadays.
I don't sut all that much wood, maybe 4-5 cords (I'm hoping that's all I'll need...lol)
Any input greatly apreciated.
thanks,
dave

I think you need to tell us how large the trees is going to be - recommending a size is pretty much impossible without that info......

What model is your neighbor suggesting for you?

There is a new Jonsered 65cc saw that on the market now that would be great for firewood cutting.
As we get older, a lighter saw sounds better. The jonsered 2152 is a good saw for reduced weight.

the jonny 2172 is my choice if you want a larger than 63cc saw ,this saw will easily run a 20 or 24 inch bar and is pretty close to the perf of my 88cc jonny ,worth the extra money imo jk

My woodburning story is much like yours. I got back to it 3 yrs ago. I had previously cut almost all of my firewood with an old 610 mac. It still works perfectly, and I still use it about once a yr. I bought a 2165 about 4 yrs ago mostly for firewood. It is a very nice machine. Much faster and lighter than the old mac. Of course, for a bit more $$ you could get a 2171 or 2172, more power and Saw Troll would approve because of the better hp/lb ratio.
Here's about 6 cords from the 2165.
BuxRUl.jpg

Im not much of a Johnny red guy, but my 2cents is this. I bored my husky up to a 372 and the J-red equal is the 2172, I don't think for firewood you need any more saw. I LOVE my husky and I think if you get a 2172 you too will LOVE your saw. My Uncle and Father both are stihl guys and run a 044 and MS460 all three of us are sure that the 70cc class of saw is Ideal for firewood. It'll handle about everything you can throw at it. Yes some will say that its too big but when you are cutting with a 50cc and need extra umph you'll wish you had a 70cc. Well enough from me good luck.

I have ran a 630 myself for over 20 years. This year I bought a 2165. What I wanted was a saw that would run about the same as my 630 with a few new features, after a few tanks of gas in my 2165 I feel this is exactly what I got, I really love this saw. You state you want a "bigger" saw than your 630. In my opinion you need to look at the 2171 and up. Maybe I misread your post, if you are looking for a "bigger saw than your husky but the same as your 630, than the 2165 is perfect.

Last edited:
the jonny 2172 is my choice if you want a larger than 63cc saw ,this saw will easily run a 20 or 24 inch bar and is pretty close to the perf of my 88cc jonny ,worth the extra money imo jk

2171 or 2172, in my opinion - but I still have no idea what he needs,,,,:confused:

Where in NY are you? Reasonably close to Ulster county?

If you are looking for the current Jonny that would be todays version of the 630, then the soon to be gone 2165 or the soon to arrive 2166 would be the ticket. (I don't know whether I should be using the word "soon" there. But I've had 365XT's in stock for a month now so the 2166 can't be far behind.)

Another $100 would put you into the 2172, which is quite a saw. But for what you are doing the 65/66 will do everything you need it to.

What Husky do you currently own that's a bit too small? One thing to consider is that you need to go far enough up the ladder to feel that you got the power gain you were looking for.

I would say the Jonsered equivalent of a Husky 365 or 570. Both are brute saws and offer healthy savings over their XP counterparts. New owners of 570's I've recently sold can't say enough good about them. 365 owners love their saws for good reasons. I know I love mine.

I would say the Jonsered equivalent of a Husky 365 or 570. Both are brute saws and offer healthy savings over their XP counterparts. New owners of 570's I've recently sold can't say enough good about them. 365 owners love their saws for good reasons. I know I love mine.

Imo, the 570 is a real dud regarding power to weight, and I don't think there are a red version of it......:msp_rolleyes:

Imo, the 570 is a real dud regarding power to weight, and I don't think there are a red version of it......:msp_rolleyes:

I wasn't sure if a Jonsered version was available or not. And I say to Hell with the power to weight ratio and hello to the dollar to need ratio. If someone says I need a new car and I drive the highway everyday, we're not all going to recommend a Ferrari because it has a high power to weight ratio or because it can hit 200mph.

Yes, the 372 has a better power to weight ratio than the 365, as does any non-XP matched saw. Doesn't mean they're no good and don't serve the purpose they're intended for.

I wasn't sure if a Jonsered version was available or not. And I say to Hell with the power to weight ratio and hello to the dollar to need ratio. If someone says I need a new car and I drive the highway everyday, we're not all going to recommend a Ferrari because it has a high power to weight ratio or because it can hit 200mph.

Yes, the 372 has a better power to weight ratio than the 365, as does any non-XP matched saw. Doesn't mean they're no good and don't serve the purpose they're intended for.

I wasn't speaking about the 365, just the 570.

I wasn't speaking about the 365, just the 570.

Then you don't make sense because the 372 has a better power to weight ratio than the 365..... Apparently making the 365 feel like a "dud" when compared to it's counterpart? If not then it would appear as though you just don't like the 570 :msp_confused:

Yo folks ... back to the task at hand the op wanted jonsered info so dont make this a husky specs pissin match ,thank you and good nite !!!jk

I like my 2171 so much, I cant help but suggest it or the 2172.
Actually, I would just go ahead and get a 2172. They are really fantastic saws from what i hear. Very strong!

I'm in Washington county, NY
I would be cutting trees (on ocasion) up to 3' in diameter (not necessarily cuttin trees down but logs this big)
I would like something along the lines of the old 630.
I haven't discussed size with my neighbor, I am hoping I can get a super-duper deal on a leftover model (I'm sure I will get a super deal anyway)
I guess I have been out of it too long and I haven't taken the time to do some research of my own. I've been busy (thank god)
I apreciate all the info and input.
I will look into the 2165 and 2171/2172 models.
thanks again :)

I'm in Washington county, NY
I would be cutting trees (on ocasion) up to 3' in diameter (not necessarily cuttin trees down but logs this big)
I would like something along the lines of the old 630.
I haven't discussed size with my neighbor, I am hoping I can get a super-duper deal on a leftover model (I'm sure I will get a super deal anyway)
I guess I have been out of it too long and I haven't taken the time to do some research of my own. I've been busy (thank god)
I apreciate all the info and input.
I will look into the 2165 and 2171/2172 models.
thanks again :)

I like my new to me 630 just fine. With a sharp chain on a 24 inch bar I have not been able to get it to bog at all in Maple, Alder and Douglas Fir. How about just finding a good condition 630? They are pretty common hear in the PNW. Let me know if you want me to find one out here. I see them for 100-200 quite a bit. Good luck.

the 2165 will do all you need but the 2170 or whatever the new one is will do it in style. Basically a 60 cc saw will run a 20 inch bar in hardwood and ocasionally a 25 but the 70cc will run a 25 fulltime. I have looked at the 2170 or 72what ever it is and actually nearly bought one but went for the almost 92cc stihl ms660 for my own reasons. All the old guys I talk to seem to like the johnnys despite the fact that they are now husky/electrolux.

Saw Troll it cracks me up how you just anger people...... Maybe it is because your swedish... lol. You also get into trouble when you start ripping into the Stihls. Well I think that your knowledge is really solid.:rock:

IMO power to weight ratio is the single most important factor to cutting performance, regardless of the size of the saw. For instance, I have a Dolmar 5105 and 7900. The 5105 has such a great power to weight ratio, that I can almost keep up with the 7900. It takes longer to cut, but it's low weight reduces the time between cuts, because I can move around much faster. Also, I don't need to take any breaks with this saw. Just keep cutting.

My favorite cutting saw is my 395XP. It is not any faster to cut than the 7900 because of its high weight, but the power makes it so much more enjoyable. Maybe I am compensating...lol.

Back