what size wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What size wood you guys throwing in your OWB?
Ive got a Woodmaster 5500. Most of the wood Im burning right now is around 20-24" in length, split by hand. Ive been getting good 12 hr burns, without completely filling the box. Pretty much have a fire centered in the box. Id say that even if I load it to the top, its still only half full.
I have some smaller diameter stuff thats drying for next year that I didnt need to split so I left them 30-36". Id like to use the longest lengths possible but more than 3/4 of what Ive been cutting, I cant split that long by hand.
So, if I had a splitter that could handle 3-4 foot logs, I wonder if Id get better burn times. Seems logical since there woud be more wood in there.

With my Woodmaster 4400 I put as big of wood as I can handle in there. Your sotve has a bigger firebox than mine but we are probably limited more by weight and handling of the logs.

I usually cut all my logs 24" just to make stacking the wood easier. I only split the largest of logs, over 22" as my stove has a 24" door. I would rather cut the big logs down to 12" so I can handle them rather than split them as it takes more time to split than to run the saw through one cut. Also split wood will burn hotter but give shorter burn times.

I dont mind throwing a 50-75# log in rather than deal with all the splitting and stacking and loading of the stove. I am sure as I get older the sizes of logs I cut will get smaller and smaller.

size of wood

I'm on my fourth year with a Central Boiler 5648,I used to cut to what I could pick up and handle but the better half wanted to know how she and the kids would be able to load the stove.I figure since I own my own splitter,no biggie to split it where we all can handle them.I blew a rotator cuff in January and was down for 2 and1/2 months and they had to keep the fire going,glad I split it small enough. You think you are invincible until you get past 40 (46) then you find out that it can be you so size your wood accordingly

I like to put 1 or 2 or 3 BIG rounds and fill with smaller stuff.Kind of a delay, when the smaller stuff is used up the bigger ones kick in.

I keep telling myself to split em' one more time,so I can get them in the stove easier...but I never do,seems the bigger the pieces the longer they burn.

I really need to do that,because if I get hurt,there is no way my wife or kids will be able to load them in the stove.They will help me split and stack them,but getting them in the hot stove would be another story.

Out of nine cord this year i split two of it. If it will fit through the door it will burn. I like to keep the ashes down and roll the logs through the door so they go downhill to the back of the firebox. The bigger they are the longer they burn. Just my opinion.

I've got about 8 face cord of smaller wood but I put in the bigger un-split stuff when I load for the longer burn times. If the round is too big to lift I split pieces off them with my Fiskars axe till I can lift them into the stove.

I'm on my fourth year with a Central Boiler 5648,I used to cut to what I could pick up and handle but the better half wanted to know how she and the kids would be able to load the stove.I figure since I own my own splitter,no biggie to split it where we all can handle them.I blew a rotator cuff in January and was down for 2 and1/2 months and they had to keep the fire going,glad I split it small enough. You think you are invincible until you get past 40 (46) then you find out that it can be you so size your wood accordingly

Ditto!...My wood seems to get split smaller every year! LOL

Back