What sort of Friction Hitch do you climb on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how RB put it. Change is good unless you're talking about money.

This thread reminds me of a Gary Larson Far Side about cavemen cooking on open fireand holding the food in their hands. One caveman is looking over and sees another fire with caveman cooking food on a stick.

Getting use to the VT and do not feel it takes longer to tie. Now that I switched from Blake's, I feel like the caveman using the stick. And my hand is not catching on fire, ya know?

ok i fixed it up for ya.

the pinnacle is good enough........you sure you dont want a bridge though?

i think a bridge is the way to go. your money though.

and you have been talking about making the move for quite some time now.

Just bought a delux arbormaster versatile.

It was perfect, I was at the saw shop and they had like two saddles, I didnt see what the other was but I tried this one on and it seemed to fit pretty good right off, so I said good enough. This was the first saddle I was thinking of switching to in the first place so all is cool.

Its got tons of adjustments on it + the quick release leg buckles and a adjustable belt style waist.

So there ya go, I'm all moderned up, just a little work on the rest of the system. First things another spliced eye safety blue. I already have new split tails and beaners.

:cheers:

New stuff is nice and great to play with, just practice with it in the yard a few times-like many times, before going out into the real world. When I changed over to the distel from tautline it was very un-nerving to get used to the smaller diameter rope, the different feel of the knot and the way it is managed. Practiced for a long time in my garage hanging from a hook getting comfortable tying it and getting confident. Not trying to discourage anyone from trying new stuff, just practice it awhile and get used to it before getting on a jobsite and freaking out. :) be careful.

ol brown going to the wall now!!!

nice bud, new saddle smell all over you. lol

versatile huh? guy i work with runs one. he likes it.

all those attachment points too! go right to that splittail system but do it low and slow like dadatwins said. you got that tree right next to the shop you can hump around in to get used to it.

congrats man!

ol brown going to the wall now!!!

nice bud, new saddle smell all over you. lol

versatile huh? guy i work with runs one. he likes it.

all those attachment points too! go right to that splittail system but do it low and slow like dadatwins said. you got that tree right next to the shop you can hump around in to get used to it.

congrats man!

Yeah man, that things comfy as all heck. Even tried that pulley you left me, still dont like those things, sort of hard when your used to wraping the rope around your hand under your knot... now there's all this metal and pulling above sucks without the grippy gloves. we'll see, this could take awhile, lol

I gotta order the HDP rollers and beaners from sherrill next and a spiced eye rope. Any recommendations on eye to eye tails anyone? What I was thinking was I'll buy like two different kinds so I can play with em..and maybe that hitch climber thingy just to try it out some.

But it sure was sad stripping old brown down...poor old warrior reduced to just a shell, a husk of his former glory - not even much left to bronze :cry:

I'm not kidding it makes me sad, like the end of an era! I suppose thats what the mullet guys feel like too though (by the way oldirty, I think the mullet referance was the final nail in old browns coffin).

Blakes hitch on a closed system. Have been looking at trying the distel but until I get time to really try it and get comfortable with it I am sticking with what I know works for me. Also loohing at some new saddles has anyone tried the wever cougar out.:greenchainsaw:

I just ordered a new saddle yesterday too. I let OD talk me into the Patzl mini boss. The rope bridge will be a new experience for me. I have used floating D's but have always preferred 4 D saddles. I'm so old school I still wear skin bracer aftershave and carry a pocket watch. However, I recently went to the VT on an eye to eye which I am tweaking now. Love the knot for limb walking. No going back for me.

I just ordered a new saddle yesterday too. I let OD talk me into the Patzl mini boss. The rope bridge will be a new experience for me. I have used floating D's but have always preferred 4 D saddles. I'm so old school I still wear skin bracer aftershave and carry a pocket watch. However, I recently went to the VT on an eye to eye which I am tweaking now. Love the knot for limb walking. No going back for me.

Ya man, I saw that, good for you! Seems you and I been at this about the same length of time...change can be good I suppose.

I've been over at the sherrill site packing up the cart pretty damn heavy this afternoon, F it, I figure if yer gonna do it just do it.

The list so far:

150' spliced eye safety blue
Hitch climber and oval caribeaners
HDP rollers and caribeaners
Blue bandit thingy
Sugoi and scabbard

I'm just confused about what length and thickness (and cord type) eye to eye tail to get, they list 30", from what I've read that seems like it might work?? I just want to play with the vt and the others a little is all...anyone?

I know I should probably just buy the cord in lengths but to be honest I dont know the knot to terminate the ends (fishermans??) to the beaner, and too much at once is just that, lol.

Ya man, I saw that, good for you! Seems you and I been at this about the same length of time...change can be good I suppose.

I've been over at the sherrill site packing up the cart pretty damn heavy this afternoon, F it, I figure if yer gonna do it just do it.

The list so far:

150' spliced eye safety blue
Hitch climber and oval caribeaners
HDP rollers and caribeaners
Blue bandit thingy
Sugoi and scabbard

I'm just confused about what length and thickness (and cord type) eye to eye tail to get, they list 30", from what I've read that seems like it might work?? I just want to play with the vt and the others a little is all...anyone?

I know I should probably just buy the cord in lengths but to be honest I dont know the knot to terminate the ends (fishermans??) to the beaner, and too much at once is just that, lol.

I think you should be fine with a 30" prussic. Mine is 36" HRC and it was way too long on the VT. You might want to just get the cord unspliced and tie your double fisherman's knots so you can play with the length. Once you figure out what length you need for whatever knot you decide on then you can buy spliced eye on your next one. Double fisherman's is a super easy knot to tie BTW. Just look it up on the web. Sherrill probably had a diagram in their catalog on how to tie it. The cord I'm using is 8mm and it's working fine.

I think you should be fine with a 30" prussic. Mine is 36" HRC and it was way too long on the VT. You might want to just get the cord unspliced and tie your double fisherman's knots so you can play with the length. Once you figure out what length you need for whatever knot you decide on then you can buy spliced eye on your next one. Double fisherman's is a super easy knot to tie BTW. Just look it up on the web. Sherrill probably had a diagram in their catalog on how to tie it. The cord I'm using is 8mm and it's working fine.

Thanks man.

I think yer right about buying a longer piece and figuring the double (I tied one on a footlock cord once, a very long time ago though) fishermans knot out - just trying to get off easy, lol.

Thanks man.

I think yer right about buying a longer piece and figuring the double (I tied one on a footlock cord once, a very long time ago though) fishermans knot out - just trying to get off easy, lol.

I think its a scaffold knot that I want md, looks like what you tied your vt setup with in the other thread. Looks to me like half of a double fishermans.
I think thats the confusion??

i could be wrong but i think its a scaffold knot if you are securing it to something (IE to your biner) and double fisherman if you are "marrying" rope together.

hey mds...everyday you sit at your desk just look up over your shoulder and see old brown on the wall. he's earned the retirement.

look at you going to the new school in a hurry! lol

that ice or what ever it is is a good prussic cord. i am using the HRC right now. not eye to eye though because i was using it for 2 different application and needed to be able to change the length.

so you are getting the hitch climber for the prussic and the hdp rollers for the your splittail system? sweet.

i could be wrong but i think its a scaffold knot if you are securing it to something (IE to your biner) and double fisherman if you are "marrying" rope together.

hey mds...everyday you sit at your desk just look up over your shoulder and see old brown on the wall. he's earned the retirement.

that ice or what ever it is is a good prussic cord. i am using the HRC right now. not eye to eye though because i was using it for 2 different application and needed to be able to change the length.

so you are getting the hitch climber for the prussic and the hdp rollers for the your splittail system? sweet.

Yup, OD called it right. Same knot just called different names for different applications. Loop twice around a bite of rope and pull your end up through both loops. It's so easy a caveman can do it. ;)

Ya man, I got bored+ I was sick of hearing about all this stuff and not being able to try it out. Old brown was sort of keeping me from trying the new stuff.. so with that out of the way now I'm going ultra modern. I figure if I dont like it I can just tie my two overhands to a beaner on the front loop, lol.

So I ordered an 8mm bee line 30", a 28" HRC and a 20' piece of HRC. that way I figure I should have it all covered and not have to order some stupid little thing, I'll just be done with it. Its like $875 for all this crap so far! At least I already have my gecko's anyway.

Hey md, this caveman figured the scaffold and the double fisherman's in like five minutes...smart a$$! :laugh: I'm sure the vt and the others wont be quite so easy by the looks of it though.

Ya man, I got bored+ I was sick of hearing about all this stuff and not being able to try it out. Old brown was sort of keeping me from trying the new stuff.. so with that out of the way now I'm going ultra modern. I figure if I dont like it I can just tie my two overhands to a beaner on the front loop, lol.

So I ordered an 8mm bee line 30", a 28" HRC and a 20' piece of HRC. that way I figure I should have it all covered and not have to order some stupid little thing, I'll just be done with it. Its like $875 for all this crap so far! At least I already have my gecko's anyway.

Hey md, this caveman figured the scaffold and the double fisherman's in like five minutes...smart a$$! :laugh: I'm sure the vt and the others wont be quite so easy by the looks of it though.

Nice MDS, very nice. I like your style.

My vote is for the 8mm Beeline, a VT, and a micro pulley all on one biner with your spliced eye climbing line. It'll be compact and smooth.

Once again, I'm impressed with you jumping in with both feet. Give er' hell.

Nice MDS, very nice. I like your style.

My vote is for the 8mm Beeline, a VT, and a micro pulley all on one biner with your spliced eye climbing line. It'll be compact and smooth.

Once again, I'm impressed with you jumping in with both feet. Give er' hell.

Thanks nails.

I can already forsee problems though. But at least I'll have tried it.

Thats the good thing about the varsatile though, it should enable me to try different stuff out and keep what I like.

I cant wait for all that crap to get here....then all I'll need is some more trees to cut, FN recession! Grrr.....

Hey, can you post a pic of the setup you mentioned??

Thanks nails.

I can already forsee problems though. But at least I'll have tried it.

Thats the good thing about the varsatile though, it should enable me to try different stuff out and keep what I like.

I cant wait for all that crap to get here....then all I'll need is some more trees to cut, FN recession! Grrr.....

Hey, can you post a pic of the setup you mentioned??

Yeah maybe I don't know we'll see almost for sure, I'll see if I can snag a quick minute to do it. I've been busier than heck with my counterfeiting business due to this FN recession.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back