What Splined Carb adjustment tool fits WALBRO?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchipps

Arboristsite Member
Reaction score
Ordered a 21 tooth splined Carb tool off eBay, Part number 530035560 which says it's for Husqvarna, Poulan, Jonsered, Craftsman etc.

Tried it out and found that it doesn't fit the spines correctly on my Husq 141 which has a Walbro carb. It's VERY close, but just slightly too loose to where I could feel it slipping on the spines without turning the screw.

Did some research and found out that these 21 spline tools that are all over eBay and Amazon ONLY fit ZAMA carburetors and will NOT work on Walbro.

So, what splined tool "does" fit a Walbo carb? Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Ordered a 21 tooth splined Carb tool off eBay, Part number 530035560 which says it's for Husqvarna, Poulan, Jonsered, Craftsman etc.

Tried it out and found that it doesn't fit the spines correctly on my Husq 141 which has a Walbro carb. It's VERY close, but just slightly too loose to where I could feel it slipping on the spines without turning the screw.

Did some research and found out that these 21 spline tools that are all over eBay and Amazon ONLY fit ZAMA carburetors and will NOT work on Walbro.

So, what splined tool "does" fit a Walbo carb? Has anyone else ran into this problem?
Hiya JC. I ordered a complete set of carb SCREW drivers also from Amazon. It comeS with 12 I think, it's made by HIPA My 141 is also a walbro( an outdated one WT660), Not sure what urs is but the splined driver fits like a glove. I paid around 24? For the kit. There's a bunch of multi sets listed. I'm kinda new here and don't know if I am allowed to post the URL so that's why I didn't. But mine fits perfect. Made by HIPA. Have a blessed day

Mark

This was my solution to the issue. Note, my crosshatchs sucked so just used needle nose to remove and size at my favorite hardware store.

I just got a kit off Amazon works well on a poulan I’m working on so far and seems I have all the drivers I need to work on just about everything I think their may be 1 or 2 more patterns.

Hmmm, I’ve got the same tool and part number and it has worked for the Walbro on my Husqy. Who knows, tolerances and quality could be all over the place for these Cheap tools. Mine’s been great though, sorry.

As stated above.
You will find that you will need the kit if you fool around with small engine carbs.
about 12 in the Amazon Hipa kit for around $16 or less.
I've found that not all carbs for the same model of 2 cycle machines use the same tool.
I label my carb tools when I figure out which machine they most likely fit.
Sometimes I cannot even see the difference as to why they fit and don't fit, just have to carefully try a tool until I get a correct snug fit.

I just bought a Husqvarna 525LST string trimmer.
The Walbro mixture screws are splined, looks like your normal 21 spline but none of my (3) 21 drivers fit nor did any other tool in my two kits. These screws are bigger so the 21 spline tool won't even slide over them at all.
While looking at different spline tool/kits I noticed the statement below on several kits.

(Warm Notice: 21-Teeth Splined carburetor adjusting tool won't fit WALBRO carburetors which may need a 22-teeth tool.)

After a week long search I still have not located a 22 spline tool anywhere?
I used an old piece of fuel line to adj mine, had it not had a 5yr warranty I'd just hacksaw slots in it.

Also fwiw- The darn Cat wondered back home.
These RedMax Strato-Charged/Husky X-Torq engines perform so well they met EPA standards without having a Cat converter since designed. I see this 525LST is sporting a Cat Muffler now so EPA clearly forced new 2 cycle restrictions it appears? Grrrr!

Has a 5yr warranty slotting could knock completely out if not perfect? Maybe even if perfect depending who see's it?
It's simple, I cut several with a extra fine hacksaw when EPA started this crap decades back but no warranted units. Then carb tools popped up so I got a small kit, others as the need would arise. Have 8?? Ill look into that one.
I'm surprised China hasn't dropped these in from their balloons, Ill have to send Hongda my address...lol
Thanks!

The walbro carbs have 5mm splines on the newer ones. The older carbs were 4mm. There is a pac man that is supposed to work on the larger screws. Your best bet is to slot the jets with a small cut off wheel if you want a fully adjustable carb.
Sorry late reply, I had those Pac-man drivers in my small kit so I already tried him out. It failed to fit this new 525LST Walbro too.
The large Pac-man is actually closer to fitting than my OEM Husqvarna Spline driver (530035560) my older (223l/323l) trimmers take. I have 3-4 of these same oem drivers fwiw.
This carbs screws splines are above the outer rim of the big Pacs tip all the way around, if you can picture that? A tad higher for my OEM husky drivers tip even. Newer screw design or standard Walbro idk but Ive rebuilt/adjusted a lot of trimmers/saws over the yrs doing small engine work 30yrs & its the 1st one my tools won't fit. Albeit just my Husky drivers & a Performance tool kit, not a large one but it got me through since EPA first changed **** anyway.
Well anyway, I figured WTH Pac-man tools are everywhere so I shoved my big Pac-man in my vise, stuck a pencil punch inside him & gently tapped to open it up a bit.
Now my Pac-man slides on these screws so I can adjust it. So yep' you were right, a Pac-man will fit the Walbro..lol
It didn't take much, my first tap or two almost got the job done but not quite so it took me two shots. My Pac being from a cheap kit I figured China pot metal or lead..lol? I was extra gentle so I didn't split the p.o.s..

Anyway thank you all, I appreciate the help. I may buy a larger kit anyway, if I find a tool fitting this new 525LST without hacking it I'll update here so folks will know. Peace

Latest posts

Back