What started it all?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a difference a few years makes. Started out with an old super xl automatic I picked up for $8. Y'all helped me choose a bar and chain for it. Couple years later I scored the cylinder after I tried to adjust the carb and ran it too lean. After having a couple friends "fix" my saws, I vowed to learn to do it myself. Then last year I started building a collection of junk saws to learn on. Fixed a few plastic poulans, and a few Homelite super 2s. Next thing I know I have 50+ saws and have repaired and sold 40+ saws. Thanks to all the help from you guys, I no longer rely on other people to fix my saws. Many many thanks to all of you over the years.

My first post:
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...xl-automatic-but-have-a-few-questions.162248/

2 factors:

1) My dad was (and is) "handy", and taught me how things work (not just small engines, but anything with moving parts). He taught me how to visualize how things work together to get done what they were designed to do. That's helped me with countless vehicle repairs, home repairs, heping friends out of a scrape. And those fundamentals more or less abstractly apply to nearly any aspect of life. Determine what the end goal is, what steps are needed to accomplish that goal, make a plan, take the next actionable steps to accomplish that plan. Works for career, retirement, spiritual growth, parenting, etc.

2) Specifically for saws, maybe 3 years ago my father in law said his "old saw" (an 041 electronic) wouldn't start. He knew I could fix a lawnmower, so he asked if I could fix a chainsaw. Once I was wrist-deep into the engineering that made up that old Stihl, I was hooked. And when I was googling why it had no spark, I landed on some insane website where there were a bunch of wackos who did little else but talk about chainsaws! ;)

--JC

2 factors:

1) My dad was (and is) "handy", and taught me how things work (not just small engines, but anything with moving parts). He taught me how to visualize how things work together to get done what they were designed to do. That's helped me with countless vehicle repairs, home repairs, heping friends out of a scrape. And those fundamentals more or less abstractly apply to nearly any aspect of life. Determine what the end goal is, what steps are needed to accomplish that goal, make a plan, take the next actionable steps to accomplish that plan. Works for career, retirement, spiritual growth, parenting, etc.

2) Specifically for saws, maybe 3 years ago my father in law said his "old saw" (an 041 electronic) wouldn't start. He knew I could fix a lawnmower, so he asked if I could fix a chainsaw. Once I was wrist-deep into the engineering that made up that old Stihl, I was hooked. And when I was googling why it had no spark, I landed on some insane website where there were a bunch of wackos who did little else but talk about chainsaws! ;)

--JC
same way i ended up here....damn google search lol!

I lurked for a while on here getting some info about putting a new top end on an old husky 51 i was given. Then i found a husky 261 project and needed some more info. Then my dad gave me his 272xp (which i grew up using) and 575xp. Then i lost all control for a couple years...now im all better :D

I got here by using Google also. A friend gave me an old Poulan S25DA... Said it didn't run and if I wanted it I could have it. The fuel line & filter were a brownish yellow wad of goo in the tank. Googled how to replace fuel line on S25DA & found @Modifiedmarks excellent how to, joined & been here ever since. Owned one saw then....Now have 6 working saws & I don't know how many projects.

Kudos to GeorgiaVol. Google got me here too. Started lurking when I moved to NY and needed to burn to stay warm in the winter. My work had some early CS590s that ran like turds but were my only option, so I started searching how to get em running right. Next thing I know I'm scouring CL looking for "you suck" candidates.

I just wanted a cheap saw, so I could show my boys the relationship between axes and power tools. The kids and I had been rehanging many axes up until that point.

The cheap saw was my Husqvarna 136, and it had a few issues. Google brought me here.

Since then, I somehow managed to purchase seven more saws...almost all with issues...err, character lol.

Did I mention I've only been buying saws for a month?

I haven't progressed as far as most but I guess Google is helpful, that's how I got here too. At least know I understand muffler mod, retune and too lean.

The Google machine brought me here as well, can't remember what I was after and had no idear if forums nor how they worked. So I went out on a limb, established my first ever email, and elbowed my way in lol

Latest posts

Back