What The "Pros" (fallers) Are Wearing To Work and Saw Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, but ya gotta admit its quicker to spend 18 seconds to tighten the chain than to spend 10 minutes trying to bend links back into shape and "pound on" the chain to get it back on. Doing it right would be faster and cheaper with less damage to chains when they get thrown.

Bending ties & drivers back takes seconds. Dont get things twisted now, its easy to drop a chain even when its snug on the bar, especially agressive chains.

Running a loose chain is just somthing that some people do from time to time. there is not a day in the woods that goes by when i dont adjust my chain at least 2 times. I cut timber for a living, trust me when i say,"I make things as easy as I can for myself" thats what my job is all about. i know what works, atleast for me. . .

"pounding" on a chain occours when you dont have your wrench and you are running a 25'' bar that had a snug chain. Spending 5 or 6 minutes to hike or wait for the skidder is too long, get that chain back on there and cut a few more drags. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
People look at me like I've got a square cod or something when I pull a saw out of the truck with a 32" on it.

Since ive been a little guy i have always wanted to be a logger. These pictures and videos are awesome. To bad i live in Tx not really a logging state, Im willing to move though!

Here's a shorter video. And don't move here. You may visit but don't move.
Too many people moved here. The fishing isn't what it used to be nor is the hunting.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v0QtuKICJJ0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v0QtuKICJJ0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey Patty another fun thread. Hes dressed like half of Enumclaw minus the cuttin rig. Even the kids dress like that here.

attachment.php

Here's a shorter video. And don't move here. You may visit but don't move.
Too many people moved here. The fishing isn't what it used to be nor is the hunting.

Haha i dont think i can handle the snow and salt on my vehicles, much less on myself.

Btw i dont hunt or fish :)

The only reason I've ever ran a loose chain is because I either did'nt have time to stop to tighen it at the time or was too busy to notice!

I did'nt have the experience when I cut with the "East coast loggers" as I do now, logging on my own with 2 buddies. But those guys I worked with when young could stop, break two nuts and turn the screw half turn within 10 seconds, while walking to the next tree.

I think we can agree that there's no positives that come from running a sagged chain. Unless worn tips and thrown chains are positives.

Now I can tighten my chain in about 20 seconds, while walking too, but I might trip or run into a tree:) 1 outta 5 times.

And all East coast lumber is'nt meek either. These west coast guys chop firs and spruce, we chop Oak and Hickory! Hardwood here boys! :)

Last edited:
I tried the ax scabbard for about two months. It clanked around too much for my liking. Just stick the ax in the tree if wedging or set it aside if not. Use what you need, have what you may need in a pack.

Salts not a problem my town gets 90" of rain a year keeps everything flushed clean and green. My town also is 30" a year short of the wet area of Washington.

Salts on the roads for ice is what i really dont like....

I tried the ax scabbard for about two months. It clanked around too much for my liking. Just stick the ax in the tree if wedging or set it aside if not. Use what you need, have what you may need in a pack.

Yea, I carry the Axe and Gas/oil with me and set it down from place to place. I have a Scrench, 3 wedges, and a file in my Pro mark pack hooked to my belt.

Wearing a bunch of crap I don't need just wears on me.

Ive cut timber that would make you beg for mercy bud. I know what ya'll have over there, childs play even compared to east coast timber.

I was clear-felling the giant rainforests down here long before there was such a thing as greenies and well before you'd worn your first nappy, and just the slash and off-cuts we left on the hill make your biggest logs look like matchsticks :laugh:

The final short film. A cookie is cut.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2G8deli8M4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2G8deli8M4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Maybe more on Wednesday, maybe not. This looks to be more of a mechanized year.

Salts not a problem my town gets 90" of rain a year keeps everything flushed clean and green. My town also is 30" a year short of the wet area of Washington.

We can get that much rain too. We get snow some winters. No salt, just some kind of chloride stuff that they recommend you wash your car after driving in....:confused: I ski so I drive up to the pass in the choride or chemical salt.

How's the cookies turn out?

After extensive quality control work, I can say they are good. Kind of stupid to bake on a warm evening, but one has to do what one has to do. Another logging area may be starting up soon, with a very different contract and we have to have a meeting of the minds tomorrow--some hard thinking. Chocolate chip cookies help stimulate the brain.

my family use to live in buckley, across the hwy from where the log show is....my dad fell for rod and gary....and ray cooper for a long time then we moved to idaho where you dont have to lock your doors and you dont have breathe the fumes from the nieghbors meth house down the street.....GODBLESS IDAHO!!!

Back