What to do about persistent poachers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taught “Logged for browsing and forest for cover.” And sounds like you confirm that. The deer have 80 or 100 acres of pasture/ hay meadow they can graze that is planted with yummy clover etc. they want nothing to do with browsing some bombed out looking logged property. Also, the deer quickly change their patterns of movement to bedding down pretty strict when they start hearing shots of guys siting in their guns… so this time of year there is a hoard of deer at night on the pasture and bedded down in my woods at night.

Yes yes, instead of tarred and feathered a deer jump suit. Could get interesting and entertaining. Ha!
Deer tend to really like logged property. However, the "thicket" make is much harder to hunt.

you said "deer quickly change their patterns of movement to bedding down pretty strict when they start hearing shots" perhaps, create that deterrent:

It sucks having trespassers on your property I deal with it every year but my situation is different as I am in the NYC watershed and the NYC DEP police dont take kindly to trespass. I've had NYS DEP Catskill park police sherriff and state police here ,sometimes a combination of . Never had repeat offenders as most times it's just guys who think they are still on state land .
Isn't the entirety of the Adirondacks in the NYC watershed? I thought that the original justification of the Park was to maintain the city's watershed?

I worked at a fenced off fertilizer plant in Wisconsin years ago that had signs all around that said "CAUTION TOXICOLOGICAL RADICANTS"......stopped the people stealing gas....it's POISON IVY by the way....they did have the radiation symbol too!!!!

he's in the catskills

https://nycdep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9622fdc0897a4067a80fe25bc2f25f53
zoom in. all the green areas are watershed protected areas.
Im in the Adirondacks. Excellent rights for farmers but pretty restrictive for non-farmers. An interesting legal and regulatory structure that does its job fairly well to keep development concentrated in towns and the wild areas wild. Cleanest air on average in the entire country is one of the cool perks.

he's in the catskills

https://nycdep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9622fdc0897a4067a80fe25bc2f25f53
zoom in. all the green areas are watershed protected areas.
OP said he is in Adirondacks. @SS396driver who is in the Catskills said "...but my situation is different as I am in the NYC watershed...". My question is how that makes his situation different than the Adirondacks as it was my understanding that all of the Adirondacks are in the NYC watershed. But maybe I'm wrong in that understanding. Or perhaps "watershed protected areas" are enforced differently than just being "in the watershed"? Just clarifying...mostly my own curiosity, but if being "in the watershed" helps with game law enforcement, than that may be great for the Kdawg.

What's your internet situation? I have a long range Arystone antenna/router thing. 500yards and my phone has WiFi. There's some spots it does better and some are blocked, your milage will vary!

Talk to your snowmobile club. I had a problem with side-by-side using trails in the summer and running through crop. Unfortunate that your problem isn't tied to use of the trail.

^The exploding deer target was brilliant. ^

Hunting leasing took about five years to radically change land use attitudes here. The prospect of Bad behavior resulting in leased land and leased land results in MORE leased land quickly. $25/acre my neighbors get. I just have to threaten to lease and people are volunteering to keep you happy or to get in on the lease.

Isn't the entirety of the Adirondacks in the NYC watershed? I thought that the original justification of the Park was to maintain the city's watershed?
I'm in the Catskills . I can walk to go fishing in the Rondout reservoir. So they are touchy about unwanted or should I say unauthorized people walking around. In order for me to get a pass for recreation on NYC property I had to have a background ck . Basically like the one for a rifle the permit is good for a few years I'll have to look at it.

The Adorondacks aren't in the NYC watershed . They however are a designated watershed area for Lake George and lake Champlain. NYC drinking waters come from the Catkills .
OK.... We are probably talking about geographic watershed vs. water supply watershed.

I'm certainly not claiming to know too much about New York water stuff... I just spent a few summers in the Adirondacks 20+ years ago and remember rock hopping across the Hudson River... If there are drinking water reservoirs in the Catskills, that is obviously entirely different! Different protections for those makes sense...

I personally wouldn't drink the water . Thousands of geese ducks seagulls in it , seen my share of dead animals floating in it road kill 50 yards from the waters edge . No thanks . Surface water isnt the best source for drinking . My water comes from a natural spring built a spring house around where it comes out the mountain and pipe it to a cistern. Water runs 24/7 never freezes even at sub zero temps

OK.... We are probably talking about geographic watershed vs. water supply watershed.

I'm certainly not claiming to know too much about New York water stuff... I just spent a few summers in the Adirondacks 20+ years ago and remember rock hopping across the Hudson River... If there are drinking water reservoirs in the Catskills, that is obviously entirely different! Different protections for those makes sense...
Ya since 9/11 they are real touchy about the dam areas and closed most of the roads going over them . The ones still open have cameras and usually a patrol car at one end or the other 24/7

I personally wouldn't drink the water . Thousands of geese ducks seagulls in it , seen my share of dead animals floating in it road kill 50 yards from the waters edge . No thanks . Surface water isnt the best source for drinking . My water comes from a natural spring built a spring house around where it comes out the mountain and pipe it to a cistern. Water runs 25/7 never freezes even at sub zero temps
We'll....ours comes from above the surface. At 640 acres, I believe this is the largest above ground reservoir
https://maps.app.goo.gl/w1WQysw8Smaz2Ldg6

. When you post these signs take pictures with time & date stamps & if possible put a Number on each sign to identify its location & if possible waypoint each one on a GPS as you go (i.e. Northside corner LAT/LONG & keep this info logged). Try to number them chronologically as you put then up so you can easily identify if one is missing.
I was going to ask if this would work if the geo-tagging feature was turned on for your photos. It’s pretty accurate, and you would have date time and location of each photo. You could also take the photos again once every 2 weeks or so to establish that they were there.

I was going to ask if this would work if the geo-tagging feature was turned on for your photos. It’s pretty accurate, and you would have date time and location of each photo. You could also take the photos again once every 2 weeks or so to establish that they were there.
I would think geo-tagging would work to help as proof of signage & it is usually pretty close... it sure would not hurt any....

I used our portable GPS & set waypoints, then named each way point with the signs associated number i.e "Property Sign # xx". It took some time but when it was done it was easy to walk the property & know a sign was missing, which one it was & exactly where it was based on the waypoint. Did the same thing with all the survey pins we could locate.

Latest posts

Back