What to do?? Needing opinions on firewood storage.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here,it's been warm.Hasn't froze yet,still wet in the woods.Trying to get it all out,it's been standing dead for 3 years now.I'm skidding it out in 8' lengths and piling it on skids.
Then splitting it,piling it and putting a tarp over it.In the spring I'm putting up a 24'x24' shed for the tractor and firewood storage.
Now THAT is a good looking wood hauling rig!

Same here,it's been warm.Hasn't froze yet,still wet in the woods.Trying to get it all out,it's been standing dead for 3 years now.I'm skidding it out in 8' lengths and piling it on skids.
Then splitting it,piling it and putting a tarp over it.In the spring I'm putting up a 24'x24' shed for the tractor and firewood storage.

That's a badass rig u got there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been dealing with a lot of dead Ash in my area also. I leave it standing and once the bark starts to come off I give it a hand so it doesn't hold moisture (rain run off). A simple pole with one end sharpened is all it takes.
I only cut up the stuff that comes down in wind storms and during one storm so much came down I would not be able to burn it in 2 or 3 years. I built some 4' high 8' long racks on my equipment trailer and sold a bunch from my yard. Even in the spring I had people wanting fire pit wood.

:D Al

Ash lasts a long time. I wheeled and dealed with my buddy who owns a mill.

Built the house out of ash 40 years ago. It kept well with a roof over it!

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Nature has a clever way of making wood disappear. The bark is the biggest enemy here.
Bark makes the wood retain moisture, witch makes it rot.
That's why they debark logs for log houses.
Like it has already been suggested, bucking it will help, but it needs to be dry and stay dry if it's going to last very long.
The smaller logs that dry faster and stay dry will last longer then the big logs.
Covering it with plywood or tarps only make it rot faster.
Sheet metal works best for covering wood stacks or piles.
Once dry just cover the top and leave the sides open for good air circulation.
Might be time for some great bond fires.

Just had my ash logged, tops everywhere. Thanks for the info on saving for the future. I kind of wondered if this was a decent price for ash. This is only one ticket but they are all about the same.

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 36
Hey logrunner, how do you think that compares to firewood prices? I watched a guy drive by my buddies place last week, had a huge walnut log on his trailer heading towards a local sawmill that cuts walnut. 45 minutes later he came driving back past with the log still on the trailer, we assumed he didn't make a deal. My buddy who does quite abit of firewood says most mills don't want to waste their time for one log even if it's a clean bush tree. This isn't really a big place, it's a Amish run mill. I had a guy offer to buy a bunch of 20" poplar I had to use as veneer but in the end I just didn't feel good about the deal. They pick up the logs, haul them 100 miles, grade them and then send me a check once the logs are processed. Sounded like a dirty stick to me so I said thanks but no thanks. Run it all thru the OWB instead. Might find a decent local guy if the dollars work out decent.

We currently have a contract written up with a logger. Select cut. 50ish big cottonwoods, 5 or 6 red oaks, 3 or 4 white oaks, couple hickory, and prolly 40ish "soft" maple. When having someone log your property I was told to always have check in hand before they start and check all the trees to make sure they are taking only the ones marked. The logger cutting our property is pretty well known around the area to do a great job and is a stand up guy so I'm not to worried. This will be select cut 29acres of woods roughly 110 trees to open the canopy and make the area thicker for the deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been dealing with a lot of dead Ash in my area also. I leave it standing and once the bark starts to come off I give it a hand so it doesn't hold moisture (rain run off). A simple pole with one end sharpened is all it takes.
I only cut up the stuff that comes down in wind storms and during one storm so much came down I would not be able to burn it in 2 or 3 years. I built some 4' high 8' long racks on my equipment trailer and sold a bunch from my yard. Even in the spring I had people wanting fire pit wood.

:D Al
The same. Hard to keep up with dead fall and leave standing debarked for later. Growing up we had sooo many leaves in fall with ash everywhere. Now not much leaf raking at Pop's house. uploadfromtaptalk1457095221946.jpg

LoveStihlQuality

Our best local market here is $700 per thousand board feet Doyle scale. that is for logs 12" and up 2 clear sides and better.

Latest posts

Back