What to do with my Stihl 021 maybe MS250 swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doskiez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post for the forum, although I have been referencing it for years for some of my repairs and modifications. Thanks to all of you for your wisdom and willingness to share it.
I am trying to get some opinions on what to do with my latest purchase. I picked up a 021 a week or so ago at a decent price that a gentleman had just gotten out of the shop for a new carb and tune. They had it for months and he had already bought another saw so he was just trying to unload it. It needed a few things: new sprocket, clutch cover, but overall in good shape. I put it all back together with a 16in bar 3/8 lo pro chisel chain and tested it out. Runs well as is but could use more power for cutting larger logs. That being said this saw will only be used for limbing and cutting small firewood rounds. I have a 038 Mag2 for larger stuff, an old craftsman top handle and a 011AVT for small work as well.
I would like to do a port job/ mild performance build and I am contemplating using this saw as a test platform and I have come up with the following options.
1. Do the cyl work on the existing engine (worried about durability of the stamped rod and lower peak RPM)
2. Get a big bore cyl with stock bottom end (same worry as above)
3. Get an aftermarket MS 250 short block, port that, and install in the 021 chassis
4. Find a used MS250 parts saw with good compression and rob the short block out of it and part the rest
5. Accept the fact that I don't have to modify everything I own and be happy with what I have.
I like the idea of swapping a complete short block better than the other options so I will have the factory engine to put back in the saw if I end up blowing up the upgraded one.
Any and all opinions/ advice welcome including don't mess with a good running saw wait till one of them breaks.

Just change the whole engine is the easiest way and probably the cheapest if you don't mind using AM parts..as far as I'm concerned it's easier to change the crankshaft and rod in a Stihl clamshell than in a pro saw because of the hassle of splitting the case. Generally when I have to do any major work on a Stihl clamshell saw I go to the higher displacement rather than replace like an 021 or a 170 on the smaller ones. Right now the aftermarket engines are cheap so I usually just replace the whole engine.

Just change the whole engine is the easiest way and probably the cheapest if you don't mind using AM parts..as far as I'm concerned it's easier to change the crankshaft and rod in a Stihl clamshell than in a pro saw because of the hassle of splitting the case. Generally when I have to do any major work on a Stihl clamshell saw I go to the higher displacement rather than replace like an 021 or a 170 on the smaller ones. Right now the aftermarket engines are cheap so I usually just replace the whole engine.
Agreed. I just did this with a pair of MS 660 saws that fell apart. All the parts on the old worn out saws were there that I needed except for the case, crankshaft, bearings, etc. These two "new" rebuilt saws both run like champions. It takes some work, but I think it's worth it. I spent less than $200 to rebuild a saw that cost over a grand when new.

Two thumbs up, Mr. Palmer.

Just an update in case you guys were wondering. I have read more than one post on this site telling new members to beware, continuous reading of this site will just make you want more chainsaws and I can see why. I ended up putting a bid on an 026 and happened to win so now I have yet another saw to fix/ restore/ hotrod ;) I think ultimately what I will do is do a mild port job on the 021 just for practice and probably the same on the 026 if the 021 turns out well. If it doesn't I can stick an aftermarket 025 engine in it and sell it or just keep it as a backup backup backup saw lol. Thanks for all the advice!

Latest posts

Back