What to do with the IRS return?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Buy a new chainsaw of course.

Well I have never had my hands on a Stihl before and I am anxious to.
Don't get me wrong, I love husqvarna's, especially my 2100 CD. Such a beast.

Since I don't know much about Stihl saws, I know you guys know whats up and what models would suit my needs best.
I am looking to get a saw specifically for felling tree's no larger than 24" diam and cutting them up for firewood. Mainly Big leaf Maple and Birch.

I'd love to hear some suggestions on models so I can do some more research, maybe find some stories about those models here on the forum.

Thanks guys.

I like what I read about the MS 310. And the price for a new one isnt very bad.

Or an MS 440!

Last edited:
They are all good Stihl and Husky. First thing to do is define the class of saw you want to get into by looking at your current lineup. By saying 24", the saw that comes to my mind is the 372 Husky, you can't do any better. Don't you have one already?

If you want a little bigger then I would say the MS460. I like to look at the class of saw I want and decide Husky or Stihl, I prefer different in each class. The 460 will give you a little more grunt in bigger wood cause of the displacement of the engine. It also is quite a bit heavier and bulkier to handle and will tire you out quicker then the 372. My 372 will outcut it in firewood.

My bottom line: 372 for firewood, 460 for consistently cutting 20" plus blocks.

What I know about this topic is purely from first hand experience.

Interesting.

No I don't already have a 372. My buddy owns a 359XP that he keeps at my house but it is used by several people who loan it all the time.

I find it interesting that you suggested two very powerful saws right off the bat.
The husky 359 has been doing a great job and I was able to cut down a big leaf maple that was easily 24" diam. with it.

I will do some reading on both of the models you suggested. Look at weight as well as cost.

If you could suggest a saw under $500 for the same purpose what would you suggest? (I do understand it would be harder to cut 24" diam tree's).
I don't need a bar any bigger than 24", it has suited my firewood needs so far.

I'm really suprised you haven't gotten a hundred posts suggesting the MS361. I know they run around 600 bones. I think you may have a tough time getting into a new Stihl that will suit your purposes for under 500. I have never run one, however I do have an 034 w/a 20" bar on it. It is a capable saw with that setup. If you are consistently cutting 24" stuff, you really need to decide what your desires are in the saw. My other saw is a MS440 and it screams w/ a 28" bar on it. There is no comparison between the two, BUT I sure wouldn't want to be toting the 440 around all day limbing and bucking smaller stuff. Both saws I got off of eBay. That may be a good option if you are set on getting a Stihl in that size class for under 5 bills.

Others on here may steer you toward a Dolmar. I hear they are decent saws for less money. Personally, I have never run anything but Stihl, and I am not interested in 'experimenting' with anything else.

I have the MS 361 and love it. I have both 18" and a 20" bars. I have been cutting firewood for home use for over 20 years and it is by far the best running and cutting saw I have ever used. I couldn't be happier with it so far, and the weight is comfortable.

I would recommend getting a good pair of chaps, and a face shield is nice as this saw can really spit the chips.

By the way, this saw will handle up to a 25" bar and chain.

MS 361 Chain Saw

DISPLACEMENT
59.0 cc (3.6 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER
3.3 kW (4.4 bhp)

WEIGHT (powerhead only)
5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.)

FUEL CAPACITY
685 cc (23.2 oz.)

CHAIN OIL CAPACITY
325 cc (11.0 oz.)

OILOMATIC® CHAIN
3/8" RSC3

RECOMMENDED RANGE
OF GUIDE BAR LENGTHS
40 to 63 cm (16" to 25")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®

STIHL recommends #3624 (33 RSC3 72) OILOMATIC®saw chain and 20" 3003 008 8921 Ematic™ guide bar combination.

A professional saw with the best power-to-weight
ratio in its class.
High-tech engine with increased durability.

As posted on their website:

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS361.html

:givebeer:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I like the MS361 from what I read.
There are a few on ebay as well.

Dolmar...hmm going to check some out.

While I should be buying new tires for my truck I am so addicted to chainsaws it's hard to decide :)

+1 on 460.

However to get into one for under 500 you'll have to go used, which isnt a bad thing either. I picked up my 046 with a 20" bar for 300 a couple years ago from a dealer near me. It has been a great saw, neer given me a lick of trouble and the power to weight is real good IMO. I also picked up a 066 for 350 with a 28" bar.

I use both of them to cut fire wood and while I really enjoy the power of the 066 it can get a little heavy when cutting smaller stuff. For all around work the 046 is the one I reach for.

I just found this local ad

Stihl 046
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/673698860.html

Lightly used pro model saw 77cc, 6hp, very low hours, used by homeowner. Has side port and front cover port. Runs perfect, has 165psi compression. Comes with 32" bar with skip chain (yellow) and 28" bar with 2 skip chains. All chains have not been used since sharpened at saw shop. I will also include the factory service manual. The wear on the bar paint does not reflect the saws use. The bar was also used on a 038 (friends). The bar does have a new tip and surfaced rails. This saw is ready for work today! Brand new, with a 32" bar, this saw at the dealer is $869.95. With tax it's $946.50. Throw in a 25" bar, a couple chains, service manual and cover, you'll be over $1100 with tax.

I'm asking half...... $550 OBO

That dosnt look like a bad deal, 2 bars, several chains and a low houred power head. Might be worth a look for ya:clap:

Thanks.

Oh man, I have the CAD bad. First of all there is a Stihl dealer directly across the street from my work and it's calling my name, I can hear it.
Second, for the use I need a saw for its going to use up all my $600. It's bothering me thinking that I will probably spend it all on a new saw. The fact of getting a new saw is well... you all know. It's 100% your's and it's your baby. I like being the first person to put it to use.

I'm having a hard time deciding though to.
I think it's a toss up between an MS360 new
the used 046
or a dolmar PS 5100 S new

I own 4 Dolmars and although all of mine are older models, I have to say they are really great saws. My favorite is probably the 120Si. I seem to always use it first. It always starts in 2 pulls and is excellent runner. With a 20" bar, it has great power. If I ever get a new one I'll go for a 7900.
Makita saws are rebadged Dolmars by the way. The 64cc Makita/Dolmar 6401 is an excellent deal and can be had for $379 on e-bay.

:cheers:

I am thinking that the guy selling the 046 on craigslist is too good of a deal to pass up. I just offered him $500 for everything assuming it was all in working condition.

Last edited:
I am having bad luck finding an used 046 or 372xp.

Local store is selling an 034 with a 20" bar for $375
seems a little steep. This coming from the same place that sells a chainsaw wrench for $7

Well, the new saw will be on hold for the time being. I just went out and bought a new air compressor with some tools and need to buy some new tires for my truck. This will give me plenty of time to find that amazing deal on an used saw.

The simple equation is:

$600 = new 361

Forget Ebay and chainsaws. Big risk and not worth it. And not needed. Buy a new one at the local Stihl dealer and save the economy.

Latest posts

Back